Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Women roles
Lucius, I must agree with Tom-from what I can see, your work is exquisite! Thanks for sharing your webpage-I have it bookmarked.<br>
venetiancat.com <p>Pax et Lux,<br>
Julia<br>
"As you change your thoughts, so you change your world..."<br>
</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=iuliacassiavegetia>Iulia Cassia Vegetia</A> at: 9/30/04 4:49 pm<br></i>
Saluti, Love and Light
Iulia Cassia Vegetia
a.k.a Julia Passamonti-Colamartino
Legio III Cyrenaica
Maker of Amphorae
<a class="postlink" href="http://venetiancat.com">http://venetiancat.com
Once I learned to herd cats, I realized that ANYTHING is possible..."
He doesn't even have some of the best stuff up there in my opinion. His leather tooling is amazing! He's actually freaked me out with the work! (in a good way ).<br>
<br>
Tom <p></p><i></i>
Thank you, Julia and Tom for your compliments. They mean a lot to me. I am glad you like my web site, please feel free to check it out often, I will try to improve it. Julia, I admire you for "sticking to your guns" with your work, and I am very glad that your work has finally started to take off successfully! Your things are so beautiful, I'm surprised that it is only just now happening!<br>
I have always loved crafting things with my hands, but I find that when I make something, I usually give it away or sell it for some paltry amount to my friends and family, because I get more out of the smiles on their faces and their happiness than I do out of their money. I'm afraid I could never go into buisness for myself, because I'd make a poor buisnessman! I'd go broke trying to help people, and anyway, I'm terrified of trying to make my art into "work", because I'm afraid I would burn out and it would no longer be fun for me. You know what I mean? I certainly do admire and support anyone who can make their craft into a successful buisness for themselves, though. Keep up your wonderful work! You certainly have a great clientele in the Roman reenactment community, and they and you deserve the best! <p>Lucius Aurelius Metellus, miles gregarius, Secunda Brittanica</p><i></i>
Lucius Aurelius Metellus
a.k.a. Jeffrey L. Greene
Dear Lucius,<br>
You said, "I have always loved crafting things with my hands, but I find that when I make something, I usually give it away or sell it for some paltry amount to my friends and family, because I get more out of the smiles on their faces and their happiness than I do out of their money.I'm afraid I could never go into buisness for myself, because I'd make a poor buisnessman! I'd go broke trying to help people, and anyway, I'm terrified of trying to make my art into "work", because I'm afraid I would burn out and it would no longer be fun for me. You know what I mean? "<br>
<br>
WOW can I ever relate to THAT! It's a long story of how I finally came to allow myself to get paid for that which I love to do, as I love to help people also. It is why I became a shamanic practitioner/herbalist 10 years ago. Go to my Ancient Ways Webpage at: geocities.com/bast1959/index.html<br>
Click just below the hand where it says "About Ancient Healing Techniques".<br>
<br>
I have found however, that rather than feeling as though doing my art as work becoming a drudgery, it is as though work has become fun! It is a job that I love, and thus, my chosen profession, but never a drudgery, even though as you well know, long hours often go into the work. I even enjoy the waitress job that I do nights to "fill in the gaps", as it is in a great restaurant where the food is really good,I enjoy the clientelle and the owners not only appreciate me and treat me well-they've given me generous shelf space to sell my work without taking a cut for themselves.<br>
<br>
I have 2 degrees, a BA in Fine Arts and an Associates in Graphic Design. Long and loud were my lamentations that I couldn't find a job in my field-and nobody wanted to hire a 43 year old at an entry level graphics position (which was how old I was when I got my graphics degree).And here I am still paying off student loans for both! I finally got to the point in my life that I was either going to look at my artistic ability as a gift or a curse, and either use it, or die spiritually from letting the gift rot. In our society, being an artist is a mixed blessing. But I believe like you do that our Creator gave us this gift for a reason, that it is meant to be shared, and that in fact, its energy can be converted into whatever is needed to "stay alive" so to speak.<br>
<br>
So, with lots of support from wonderful friends,my mother, good honest employers and a loving husband who saw me through the really bad times, I held a vision in my mind of someday finding the right "audience" in order to have my work appreciated, and to sell it. Let's face it-the general public's taste is in their hind end. I had to findother like-minded folks like yourselves to succeed in fulfilling my dream.<br>
Sad to say that I make more money as a waitress than I would have in an entry level graphics position, where all they care about is speed, and couldn't care less about quality, which is why that it is true for me that capitalism and true art do not mix. I'm happy that now, I don't have to sacrifice quality and thus compromise myself.<br>
<br>
As for making lots of $$-NO. The trick for me is to keep my own needs to a minimum and to live as frugally as possible so that whatever I do earn counts. I am learning that the less "things" I require, the more I have. That way, I can keep my prices down, sell quality work, and yes, definitely make people happy, which to me, is very important-although I do realize that there are some folks that you just can't please, no matter what you do, as they're basically just miserable! I do this work because it is my passion, and has been my whole life. And I KNOW that you understand where I'm coming from on that. Thanks for allowing me to share...<br>
Julia<br>
</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=iuliacassiavegetia>Iulia Cassia Vegetia</A> at: 10/1/04 10:58 am<br></i>
Saluti, Love and Light
Iulia Cassia Vegetia
Legio III Cyrenaica
Maker of Amphorae
Once I learned to herd cats, I realized that ANYTHING is possible..."
Hi Julia,<br>
No problem, I enjoy conversation with a fellow artisan! You know, I had never thought about things the way you stated it: "it is as though work has become fun!", but you are right! I certainly have never found my artwork drudging. But I have often wondered if the only reason I was blessed with this talent was to make others happy, because I have certainly never made a significant amount of money from anything I craft.Somehow just what I do get out of my work is enough for me, although it sure would be nice to be in buisness for myself! <p>Lucius Aurelius Metellus, miles gregarius, Secunda Brittanica</p><i></i>
Lucius Aurelius Metellus
a.k.a. Jeffrey L. Greene
Dear Lucius,<br>
To that I say WHY NOT go into business for yourself?<br>
<br>
As long as you have some kind of steady income, you can start by doing custom work on the side like I do. All you really need to get started is a business card, a webpage, and the right "audience". You already have a webpage, and I can see by the comments and feedback that you are certainly appreciated here. You can get business cards cheap enough at a local office supply.<br>
<br>
The only missing ingredient that I can see is knowing that YOU DESERVE TO GET PAID for your fine handiwork, and you deserve not only to make others happy, but YOURSELF as well. Trust me, when you do quality work for people who appreciate it, they're happy to pay for it. I know I am.<br>
<br>
Julia Legio III Cyrenaica<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Saluti, Love and Light
Iulia Cassia Vegetia
Legio III Cyrenaica
Maker of Amphorae