Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Women roles
Salvete,<br>
<br>
My $.02 on the subject:<br>
<br>
My biggest problem with women who "portray" men is the ones that are out to play "dress-up" rather than represent history. While I'll agree with Matt, that this is a hobby and we shouldn't bar anyone from participating, I'd hate to see a bunch of "chicks in chainmail" out on the battlefield who can barely stand up from the weight of their armor. Likewise, I don't want to see guys out there that can't "carry their own weight" as well.<br>
<br>
Secondly, in US History, the women who were able to pass as men in the ranks, like Deborah Sampson in the Rev War or Jenny Hodges in the Civil War were either young and never had children (like teen-agers), homely (to put it nicely...) or both. So middle-aged women who have had a couple of kids probably won't be able to pass as a guy, no matter how much they pad themselves up or tie their chests down. Wendy Ackerman, a CW reenactor, has done a lot of research about women who fought as men and the techniques they used. She also looks into the social history of gender and explains how someone that we would ping as female right off the batt, would look "male" back 150 years ago. Remember, until about 50 years ago or so, women routinely did not wear trousers or don "masculine" hairstyles. People 150+ years ago would not question the gender of a person dressed like a man, with a male hairstyle, and a decently male figure. So a lot of women that we would think look obviously female, were able to pass themselves off as men because of the social conventions of the time. I don't know how Romans would view this. Could a woman cut her hair short, dress in a toga or tunica, and pass for a man?<br>
<br>
So I've seen some women successfully portray men. One of the 1812 units is a sharp-shooter militia unit that is mainly composed of teen-agers, which is historically correct. There are some great young ladies in the group that blend right in with the boys. Give them a few years and this won't be the case but again, Deborah Sampson was like 16 when she joined the Continental Army and most other women I know who served as men were around that age as well. Jenny Hodges was in the "homely" category and she actually lived as a man after the war was over and wasn't found out until many years later when she broke her leg after getting run over by an early automobile. The doctors brought in some of her old army buddies to vouch that this was "Albert Cashier" that they served with so that she could keep her veteran's pension.<br>
<br>
My last gripe with women portraying men is that on one level, it demeans women's roles. I'm not a big feminist but I think that it's important to show women's roles, especially at reenactments since they are glossed over in the history books. If every woman who joins a unit opts to do a male impression, it sends a silent message that women's roles were boring and unimportant. On the flip side, I don't want to see an over-exaggeration of it either with camps being over-run with women and children like what has happened with some units. Now some units let women do dual roles which I think is great. You get to fill in your numbers on the field and let the public see the women's roles as well.<br>
<br>
I know some women who want to portray men because "they don't want to cook and sew" in camp. Perfectly fine, go research other roles that women had. (Some women are lazy and don't want to do this so it's just easier to dress up and go play with the boys.) They were merchants, nurses, the occasional doctor, farmers, carpenters, etc. When the men were off to war, who do you think picked up the slack? If all women did was cook and sew, things would have fallen apart back home really quickly.<br>
<br>
There are a ton of roles for women in Roman times from scholar to priestess to merchant. As mentioned before, women that weren't from Rome had many other roles as well. They too weren't limited to cooking, cleaning and sewing.<br>
<br>
So Lysadra, I'm not picking on you. I think you're going about doing a legionare impression the right way. You're interested in it, you've made some of the equipment and you're training to be able to "pull your own weight" so to speak. I think that's great and hope to see you out on the field some day!<br>
<br>
Well that's my $.02 on the subject.<br>
<br>
Deb <p></p><i></i>
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. If a woman walked up to me and wanted to join my group with a military impression, I'm not going to say no. She may have no interest in what women did. That doesn't demean women, it's her personal interests. So long as other women do that, so be it. I also will not encourage women to portray a male unless they choose to do so.<br>
<br>
Encouragement is the way many groups get what they need without mandating something. We can encourage women to portray female roles during the 5th Century (as in our group) but we don't keep them doing just that. After all, if we do that then we should require some men to portray slaves, servants, craftsmen, etc. After all, <em>all</em> men weren't soldiers<br>
<br>
Tom <p></p><i></i>
Tom, I don't disagree with you on the alternate roles, but one of the nice things about wearing armor is that your role explains itself. Some of the really important parts are hard to convery. How do you explain a Roman banker? <p>Legio XX<br>
Caput dolet, pedes fetent, Iesum non amo<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Tom,<br>
<br>
I think it's great that you wouldn't discourage women from portraying a military role as some units would shut them out all together. If a woman can portray a military role just as well as a man can, then it's that what the unit is all about - portraying historical Rome as accurately as possible?<br>
<br>
But my point comes when women toss off being women from the get go and never explore what women did because they think it's "boring" or "there's nothing for me to do" or "the guys have all the fun." Like Lystrada, she researched her time period and decided that she wanted to do a military role. That's great! It's the women who don't bother researching women's role and automatically assume that they are boring which I find demeaning in a way. If we, the reenactors, think that women's roles were "boring" or "stupid" or that women didn't do anything else but cook and sew, what is the public going to think? The army had to get clothing somehow. Someone had to raise the children and take care of them as well as keep the farms and businesses going when the men were away. Likewise women who just come out to socialize, play dress up, and yap with the other wives/gfs aren't doing the hobby a favor either but I do understand that some compromise is needed to keep relationships alive.<br>
<br>
My other pet peeve is that you guys (meaning the menfolk) do a heck of a lot of research to get your impressions right and as authentic as possible. I've seen plenty of women who again, have the attitude that women's work is boring, go dress out as a guy without doing any of the research, drill, or practice. Likewise, you guys have spent time working up a camp impression and staging tacticals. Women need to do the same for their roles. As I said before, it's not all cooking and sewing. So my gripe with the attitude is women who expect activities to happen for them without doing any of the work needed to make them happen. If men showed up to a women's historical sewing bee, I doubt that any of the would stay bored for long. You'd talk to other guys and say, "Hey, the chicks are getting together to sew at this event. We'd better think of something to do else we'll be bored." Women need to start doing that as well.<br>
<br>
Even as a chick with my unit (Legio XX), I still try and learn as much about the military side of things just to be able to field questions and learn more about the period. I'd love to do the whole legionare kit but again, at 5'3", I'd be laughed off the field, no matter how good I was and it's been a few years since I could pass for a young boy. Maybe with some really strong duct tape....<br>
<br>
So I guess my whole point is if women want to do a military impression as a guy, great! Just do it for the right reasons, not because you think that there's nothing for women to do or that women's roles will be boring. Heck, I'd like to see more guys do civilian roles as well but I know you guys have an affinity for shiny objects and pointy sticks.<br>
<br>
Deb <p></p><i></i>
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX
I guess it's a difference in experiences. Most of mine has had women prefering <em>not</em> to do a military impression, so those that do often do so because the military stuff is what interests them. So I guess we don't have to worry about having to many women on the field and not enough wanting to do anything else<br>
<br>
ps. Sorry if my earlier post seemed like it had any hostility toward it, I have had a long running battle on an email list and posted just after a volley over there. My apologies to anyone and everyone.<br>
<br>
Cavetus <p></p><i></i>
I guess I have no problem with my role as the local potter who hopefully will be supplying the soldiers soon with well crafted, historically accurate Samian ware. However, I'm not sure that women actually made the pottery in Roman times. I DO know that in ancient Greece, men actually made the vessels and women decorated them. (I both create and decorate as well as sell my pieces.) I'm still searching for documentation on this, so if anyone knows some sources that I could check out, I'd greatly appreciate it.<br>
<br>
Pax et Lux,<br>
Julia venetiancat.com <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=iuliacassiavegetia>Iulia Cassia Vegetia</A> at: 9/23/04 10:04 pm<br></i>
Saluti, Love and Light
Iulia Cassia Vegetia
a.k.a Julia Passamonti-Colamartino
Legio III Cyrenaica
Maker of Amphorae
<a class="postlink" href="http://venetiancat.com">http://venetiancat.com
Once I learned to herd cats, I realized that ANYTHING is possible..."
Hi Julia,<br>
I have seen your work, on Neuralmancer's web site, and I just wanted to let you know that I think your work is absolutely beautiful! I particularly like your oil lamps. Keep up your wonderful work! <p>Lucius Aurelius Metellus, miles gregarius, Secunda Brittanica</p><i></i>
Lucius Aurelius Metellus
a.k.a. Jeffrey L. Greene
Salve Lucius!<br>
I can't begin to tell you what it means to me as an artist to have my hard work appreciated by folks like you, i.e, people that understand the hours and dedication that t takes to create the pieces I do-this especially after many years of fruitless attempts at selling. I guess I just wasn't looking in the right places.<br>
Pax et Lux,<br>
Julia<br>
venetiancat.com <p></p><i></i>
Saluti, Love and Light
Iulia Cassia Vegetia
Legio III Cyrenaica
Maker of Amphorae
Hi Julia,<br>
Being an artist myself, I completely understand what you mean! <p>Lucius Aurelius Metellus, miles gregarius, Secunda Brittanica</p><i></i>
Lucius Aurelius Metellus
a.k.a. Jeffrey L. Greene
Salve Lucius Metellus!<br>
What medium do you work in primarily? <p>"As you change your thoughts, so you change your world..."<br>
Pax et Lux,<br>
Julia<br>
http://venetiancat.com </p><i></i>
Saluti, Love and Light
Iulia Cassia Vegetia
Legio III Cyrenaica
Maker of Amphorae
Hi Julia,<br>
I work primarily in leather, but also wood. I also draw and paint, but my primary skills are actually crafting "things" with my hands. <p>Lucius Aurelius Metellus, miles gregarius, Secunda Brittanica</p><i></i>
Lucius Aurelius Metellus
a.k.a. Jeffrey L. Greene
I've seen his stuff....I'd replace the word "things" with "Masterpieces" personally.<br>
<br>
And no, you other groups can't have him...he's ours!!! Tongue<br>
<br>
Cavetus <p></p><i></i>
Aww Shucks! Thanks Tom!<br>
<p>Lucius Aurelius Metellus, miles gregarius, Secunda Brittanica</p><i></i>
Lucius Aurelius Metellus
a.k.a. Jeffrey L. Greene
Lucius, do you have a "virtual gallery" of your work up online? I'd love to see it.<br>
BTW, it's cool how legions get possessive of us artists When I was selling my wares 2 weeks ago and almost sold out, the folks buying my work said to the members of another legion, "Never mind, she's ours, you can't have her." How WONDERFUL to be so respected and appreciated in a society that looks upon art and handcrafting as being insignificant and meaningless! I could go on about artists and today's society, but I better stop...<br>
venetiancat.com <p>Pax et Lux,<br>
Julia<br>
"As you change your thoughts, so you change your world..."<br>
</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=iuliacassiavegetia>Iulia Cassia Vegetia</A> at: 9/30/04 4:45 pm<br></i>
Saluti, Love and Light
Iulia Cassia Vegetia
Legio III Cyrenaica
Maker of Amphorae
Hi Julia!<br>
Yes, I do have a web site that I have been working on. It is not finished, and many of the photos are of poor quality, but until I can get a better camera and make some new ones, they are all I have. I do fully intend to upgrade them soon, however. You can view my site at [url=http://www.greeneknightforge.bravehost.com" target="top]www.greeneknightforge.bravehost.com[/url]<br>
<p>Lucius Aurelius Metellus, miles gregarius, Secunda Brittanica</p><i></i>
Lucius Aurelius Metellus
a.k.a. Jeffrey L. Greene