Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deaths in the Iliad infographic
I can't vouch for the accuracy of this, but I still think it is interesting. I was surprised that Patroclus had more kills than Achilles.

http://greekmythcomix.wordpress.com/comi...fographic/
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
This is awesome!
Nah, I'd assume it's pretty accurate. I can't remember the exact numbers but I have a few similar charts (most kills, most lines spoken, across most books etc) and the order of people there seem pretty much to be correct from what I remember.

As per your surprise it's not really that surprising when you think of it. Patroklos is meant to be pretty hardcore he's just overshadowed by your fore knowledge of his death. The presence of Akhilleus is one basically magnified by absence. That's Homer's point, it's a conspicuous absence. His withdrawal is what allows Hektor to gain the upper hand (but not really) and Diomedes to shine. When he returns it's hyperbolic. Some scholars have systemised this into a sort of narrative scheme which goes like this: hero is offended/angered and withdraws - destruction occurs and everyone suffers - then the hero is reconciled to his group and returns and all is well. Well no doubt this is a traditional theme throughout all cultures but some scholars do take this too far...

I would say though that contra the infographic Meriones has by far the most hilarious ott kills to his name in the poem.

If you're interested in this kind of systematic plot analysis btw you should check out Lowe, N. J (2001) The Classical Plot. Cambridge. Phenomenal book even if at times a bit too friendly towards the disease that is narratology in the classics...it's a shining example of how literary analysis can elucidate a whole range of texts without getting lost in the aether. I should forewarn you though that it's been described as more Aristotelian than Aristotle so if you're one of those people who (often rightfully) get annoyed by the Poetics it might irk you.
Jass
Quote:The presence of Akhilleus is one basically magnified by absence. That's Homer's point, it's a conspicuous absence. His withdrawal is what allows Hektor to gain the upper hand (but not really) and Diomedes to shine. When he returns it's hyperbolic.

The most conspicuous of absences. Achilles' absence in the Iliad is like Michael Jordan's stint with the Birmingham Barons. His greatness was indisputable, but that time away really cut into his statistics Smile
Diomedes is the only real man in that book. The rest of them are squabbling preppy crybabies. Tongue
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books