Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Armenia, 1st -3rd C. AD: Parthian or Roman?
I've always wondered whether the Kingdom of Armenia was a Roman or Parthian client kingdom between the 1st and 3rd Centuries AD. I've heard it both ways (an Iranian guy who claims it was a "Parthian subkingdom which occasionally flirted with Rome" and others who think it was a Roman client kingdom) and I'm just curious which side it was closer too, especially in the 2nd century AD, my area of interest. Did Armenia become a Roman client after Trajan's victory, or did Hadrian give it to the Parthians? Was Armenia returned to the Roman orbit after Lucius Verus' war, or did the Parthians take it over afterwards during the plague? And did it become a client after Septimius Severus' victory?

When did Armenia lean on Rome or Parthia?

Also, I'm curious about Colchis, Caucasian Iberia, and Albania. Were they Roman clients or not? If so, when?
Jeffrey A.K.A. PVBLIVS
LEGIO XX VALERIA VICTRIX, MARYLAND
http://www.pinterest.com/jbpopper/

What have the Romans ever done for us? Apart from better sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for US?
It was both. Sometimes they were contested over by the great powers, and sometimes Armenian rulers leaned one way or the other depending upon what was politically prudent.

Armenia was a Roman client kingdom under Hadrian and Antonius Pius. It was invaded by Parthia under Marcus Aurelius, and a famous incident with a Pontus-based religious charlatan - Alexander of Abonoteichus - ended up getting a Roman governor killed in an ill-advised invasion. Lucius Verus went east in his Parthian War and retook Armenia, setting up a Roman senator as client king. I believe Armenia was fairly stable in Rome's camp until approximately the turn of the century when a conflict about a Parthian succession apparently turned the kingdom against Rome. Caracalla tried to put down the rebellion to mixed results.

A lot of these border countries were careful to know which way the wind was blowing. If Rome was busy elsewhere and Parthia threatening, it would be more friendly towards Parthia. And vice versa. I think during some periods it is very hard to precisely say who Armenia supported.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
At the end of the war (as in, when the Sassanids overthrew the Parthians), who had effective control of Armenia? The same Iranian guy said that Parthia had effective control over Armenia at the end, while others say that it was more mixed.

Also, for the majority of the time which side was Armenia on? Can we say?
Jeffrey A.K.A. PVBLIVS
LEGIO XX VALERIA VICTRIX, MARYLAND
http://www.pinterest.com/jbpopper/

What have the Romans ever done for us? Apart from better sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for US?