Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
practicallity of carrying two pila (pilum)
I am a blacksmith who recently joined a roman reenactment group and have just built some pila (pilum) and wanted to try them out. They work just as described: easily piercing plywood AND bending on impact.... pretty deadly. My question is: if you're carrying two pila and a scutum, how do you hold the second pilum while throwing the first? I've read all sorts of historical anecdotes about carrying. being issued, or throwing two pila to start off a battle, but not any practical description on HOW to do it.

I've been trying to hold the second pilum in my left hand. With my fingers wrapped overhand around the scutum handle, I wrap my thumb around the lower pilum shaft and pressing it up against the back of the scutum, I also try and keep the socket over the top of the scutum to keep it from sliding down and causing the bottom end from sticking into the ground and tripping me up. Its sort of working but a big strain on my left hand. Do any of you know a better way of doing this?
I would of installed 2 leather straps that hold the pilum inside the shield. Maybe install it in such a way for easier access in combat. Also would of helped during the march would look pretty cool to on your back. Anyway that's what i would of done as a roman.
Quote:I am a blacksmith who recently joined a roman reenactment group and have just built some pila (pilum) and wanted to try them out. They work just as described: easily piercing plywood AND bending on impact.... pretty deadly. My question is: if you're carrying two pila and a scutum, how do you hold the second pilum while throwing the first? I've read all sorts of historical anecdotes about carrying. being issued, or throwing two pila to start off a battle, but not any practical description on HOW to do it.

I've been trying to hold the second pilum in my left hand. With my fingers wrapped overhand around the scutum handle, I wrap my thumb around the lower pilum shaft and pressing it up against the back of the scutum, I also try and keep the socket over the top of the scutum to keep it from sliding down and causing the bottom end from sticking into the ground and tripping me up. Its sort of working but a big strain on my left hand. Do any of you know a better way of doing this?

The method you are describing seems to be the proper way for carrying one pilum, with a curved scutum, while throwing the other. Its not the most stable method but you only need to do it literally for the length of time it takes to throw one pilum, so its not long term. Another technique is to stop marching, plant one pilum in the ground with the buttspike, throw the other pilum and then pick up the first one and move forward. If you aren't throwing them, then you can carry both in the right hand, resting on the shoulder.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Republican pilum is born: pilum of Castellruf tiberius aemilius naso 7 3,343 10-10-2013, 05:20 PM
Last Post: Robert