Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
\"Celtic\" military technology and the Romans
Scutum
We don't have all that much evidence for early Roman shields, except for the Fayum Scutum (image attached). The fayum scutum might not even be Roman, but may have belonged to a Hellenistic soldier armed in the Roman fashion. Regardless, the origins are obscure. The scutum certainly bears some resemblance to Celtic shields (see again cauldron). The Chertsey Shield in the British Museum bears some resemblance as well.
However, Plutarch, in Parallel live, life of Romulus (at 21) Claims that Scutum was adopted from the Sabines. There is some evidence that other central Italians used similar shields (see attached image), so this may be true.
This is further confused by the fact that the Greeks adopted a "thueros" type sheild, resembling a smaller scutum. See Sidon Stele for example. This may have been adapted from the Celts (probably Galatians) but may have also been adopted from the Romans after Pyrrus's war.
As such, I can't really reach a conclusion. The Celts may have introduced the proto-scutum to the Romans and the Greeks, or they could have introduced to the Samnites (and Sabines) who then introduced it to the Romans, who then introduced to the Greeks. Or, it could even be an Italic invention. Really, its all up for interpretation, though I'd really love more info if anyone has it.
Also, for what it's worth, the classic scutum seems to mostly a roman innovation. Plutarch, in Parallel live, life of Camillus, attributes the addition of metallic edging on the scutum to Camillus, and the rectangular curved shapes appears to be a roman innovation as well, as it lacks any other precedent. Likewise, I know of no Celtic shield made using the Roman "plywood" construction; all seem to be solid or planked. This may be a Roman innovation as well.
That said, it seems very likely that the clipeus shields used by auxiliary infantry and cavalry in the imperial period were of Celtic origin. These were more similar in size and construction to Celtic shields. This is not surprising, as may Auxilia of this time were of Gallic origin.

Pilum
I'm no expert on the history of the pilum, but Ross Cowan makes a convincing argument that the pilum is the heavily modified descendant of long shanked javelins adapted from the Samnites. The Romans believed the weapon to be of Samnite origin, and I am inclined to agree. That said, I think there is evidence for long shanked javelins used by Celts as well, so this can't be fully settled. See: http://www.academia.edu/5957991/The_Samnite_Pilum

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
\"Celtic\" military technology and the Romans - by Gaius Varro - 09-10-2014, 04:59 PM