Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phalera polychromate ???
Is there any evidence if Phalera could be partly polychromate, because Romans liked colourful. it would certainly ad to certain fhalera.
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
They did certainly use silverplating combined with goldplating for a bi-coloured effect. I don't know of any enamel or niello details used on them, but that may well be used as well.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I agree; I think the Romans' love of colour would have been carried forward to their uniforms. If you have an award, you want people to see it. The fact that any colour may not now survive should not necessarily detract from an impression. I think it would make a refreshing change Smile
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I know there exists a phalerae with a name, wreath and legion engraved in it. The flat surface of the phalerae was covered with thin silver foil and the engraving was inlaid with niëllo.
(aka Niels)
I often believe the Romans painted their armor and helmets. I mean, think how cool it would look if you put a multi-color scheme on Segmentata plates. On top of the fact that it would help the armor resist the weather and rust and whatnot.

I'm fairly certain they painted the little eyes on intercisa helmets.
There are also examples of phalerae with blue glass.

[attachment=10791]phalere-NL-2.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=10792]dona_phalerae07.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
I agree with the idea of two tone coloring. However, I would be careful with silver plating. To my knowledge, silver was specifically applied as sheet or something would be made directly out of silver.

From what I have seen, anything silvery that was not sheet covering, was most likely tinning. The two cannot be told easily apart when buffed and shiny.

IMHO, phalerae would have been made out of silver and partially gilt or copper alloy and tinned, followed by gilding or removing the tinning in certain areas to expose the base yellow metal.

As far as painting them.....I am not so sure. Statues were painted and many colors are no longer present. However, painting physical armor??

Christian once mentioned a sculpture where some color was left on a seggie or musculata...I do not recall exactly. In any case, the color was a bluish grey. This signifies more than likely a steel like armor not blue armor.

The white color that supposedly covered the Prima Porta statue most likely signifies silver or tin...a white metal NOT white paint.

I go towards armor not being colored with paint but who knows.

Cheer
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
@ Doc, I agree but why would a medusahead on a phalera not be partly coloured, It would certainly ad to the beaty of the medal.
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
work in progress

[attachment=10834]phalera.jpg[/attachment]

aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
[attachment=10838]phalerae.jpg[/attachment]
Here is just one set of the many Lauersfort phalerae that I have made over the years of my Roman re-productions, these I had silvered leaving the wings in the hair and various other parts with the brass that they were made from to give a gilt effect.
I have however also made these phalerae in silver sheet and and had these wings and other parts gold plated as shown in the second picture.
PS The pictures have become reversed due to an edit.

Brian Stobbs
Philus,

Quite impressive.

Publius Quinctius Petrus Augustinus
(aka Pierre A. Kleff, Jr.)
Petrus Augustinus
Pierre.
Thank you for your comment and the large picture is where I made these in silver however the depth of relief is not as high as they should be, maybe one day I shall try to get them as high as the originals that were made from copper alloy then tinned or silvered.
Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalera constructions deepeeka 86 14,015 02-19-2015, 10:00 AM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  Medusa phalera from Austria Marcus Mummius 0 1,236 06-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius