Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poster at a conference
There is a ancient mosaic conference coming up at the end of next year and they will be asking for submissions for posters. Could someone please explain what this entails? What sort of format is it, is there a general format or does it depend on guidelines from the organisers?

Thanks
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
[url:2kdj7ztq]http://www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk[/url]
www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk
www.romanmosaicpatterns.com
I'm a graphic designer so I can also help with this one.
The employer should always give the details for projects like this. It's in their authority to tell what kind of poster they want: what info it must have and how big it should be for example. The designers job is to make the information look good and readable so it will attract audience. I guess that when the conference is just at the end of next year, so there's more than a year before it, that they don't have all the info yet, and they'll reveal it (much) later. You probably just have to wait for them to announce more details, or then you have to ask them directly.
The usual "poster size" is 70 × 100 cm by the way.
Antonius Insulae (Sakari)
Thanks for that, I'll keep an eye out for when they give out more details.
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
Quote:Thanks for that, I'll keep an eye out for when they give out more details.
You just need to sum up your research in an eye-catching and interesting way. Take a look at this: here is an example of an academic paper on the Poet of Tilurium, and here is the poster on the same theme.

The main advantage of posters is that you can convey much more text than you can in a brief presentation (but don't try to cram too much on!). The posters will likely be available during the whole of the conference, but there will be a dedicated poster time, during which you will get to stand next to it and answer questions, looking sheepish as great people walk past, casting an eye over your work (whilst probably slurping wine).

Basic rules of legibility apply (13 words a line etc) but aim to make it succinct, interesting, and informative and always, always, leave 'em wanting more ;-) It should be readable for the browsing, tired, and slightly tiddly academic, but it should also catch their eye from across the room.

I've attached one I did on the Carlisle armour many years ago. Remember that it is probably going on a board with your name and topic on it so a huge title may be unnecessary and in this case I used the armour X-rays to catch the eye from across the room and the absence of a title to tease.

You may even feel like you want to upload a draft version here for critiquing, but take what feedback you get with a pinch of salt. In the end, you will know if it is right.

Mike Bishop

[attachment=10793]smallposter.pdf[/attachment]

Attached Files
.pdf   smallposter.pdf (Size: 101.18 KB / Downloads: 0)
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Thanks Mike, that's really helpful! I've got the lot saved now and I'd schedule the work so I can post it out here before I submit it to see how it appears.
Lawrence Payne