Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sheppard Frere (1916-2015)
RIP one of the true greats of Romano-British archaeology. Used to write to me as 'Dear Bishop' (which was apparently an honour; not so good would have been 'Dear Mr/Dr Bishop'). One of the few British archaeologists who has a lookalike mannekin (standing on a mosaic in Canterbury Roman Museum). I doubt there's time to list the Roman military sites he dug (and, more importantly, published).

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:Used to write to me as 'Dear Bishop' (which was apparently an honour . . . )
The correct form of address from one professional to another.

A towering figure indeed. Pity he did not make his centenary.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
A loss indeed. I was recently looking over the volume of papers published in honour of his 90th birthday.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:The correct form of address from one professional to another.
I know, it's how Haverfield and Curle addressed each other once they were acquainted.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:The correct form of address from one professional to another.

Can you tell the Hurlingham Polo Association that please? They've been writing to me as "Dear Watson" for years and I am certainly not a professional polo player.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
A nice obituary from the Guardian.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
The post roman part of his book 'Britannia' was an inspiration to us when we set up the Viroconium Militia (Sub-roman reenactment group) way back in 1986.

Just found the quote from page 369 of Britannia refering to the survival of Romanised life in towns up to the 450s which we put in our leaflets:

'We cannot doubt that it was the town-walls, refitted by Count Theodosius and still manned by troops in late Roman uniform, which made this sort of urban survival possible.'
Semisalis Abruna of the Batavi iuniores Britanniciani
aka Nick Marshall
Quote:A nice obituary from the Guardian.
And another in the Daily Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituari...tuary.html
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)