Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uses of Roman Triumphal arches
I believe I read somewhere that one of the uses of Triumphal Arches was for armies to march through and be forgiven for their actions on the battlefield. Unfortunately I can't find the reference now. Does anyone have any idea if this is true or not? And if so can you point to me toward any source for it? Thanks!
I remember reading this article many many years ago, possibily in The Journal of Roman Studies, but please don't quote me. The arch had religious conatations and centred on purification. When the army returned to Rome, by passing under an arch, it was supposed to represent the spirits of the enemy dead being vanished. It has been a long time since I read it, but the paper does exist. Sorry I cannot be more helpful. I will search my records and see if I have it listed.
THANK YOU! Even if you don't find it you've pointed me in a good direction.
These may help:

W. Warde Fowler, 'Passing under the Yoke', Classical Review, vol. 27, no. 2 (March 1913), 48-51.

F. Noack, 'Triumph und Triumphbogen', Vorträge der Bibliothek Warburg 26 (1925), 147-201.

E. Löwy, 'Die Anfänge des Triumphbogens', Jahrbuch der kunsthistorischen Sammlungen in Wien, N.F. Bd. 2 (1928), 1-40.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
You beat me to it Michael. Yes the paper is "Passing under the yoke." Constantine, I have an electronic copy so PM me with your email address if you want a copy.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Discovery of triumphal arch fragment on the Temple Mount Paullus 3 1,294 11-29-2006, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Malko Linge