Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ring pommel sword
Avete omnes

A my reproduction of a ring pommel sword....
[attachment=10966]image_2014-10-13.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=10967]image_2014-10-13-2.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=10968]image_2014-10-13-3.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=10969]image_2014-10-13-4.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=10970]image_2014-10-13-5.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=10971]image_2014-10-13-6.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

PierPaolo siercovich
Very nice sword. I am surprised by several of your decisions.
Are mouth chapes attested for these swords?
Also I believed that chapes were mostly of the box shape or pelta. Isn´t this style later?
I really don´t know, I did a ring pommel sword myself without proper investigation work I suppose...
In my opinion for the roman ring pommel swords is possible to use all the style of point typical od the late roman sword for the scabbard.and in my opinion the chapes mouth was in all the roman sword from the hispaniensis to the late roman.
PierPaolo siercovich
Quote:.and in my opinion the chapes mouth was in all the roman sword from the hispaniensis to the late roman.

Which of course makes a lot of sense.
But I found this wonderful complete example.

[attachment=10979]t11.jpg[/attachment]

The bridge is so obviously upside down that makes me wonder if the specimen was not found with all the pieces together and the mouth chape was simply lost to time (scabbard fittings in this one seem to be iron)
What do you think?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Leonardo if you look the scabbard is desappiring,there are only some fragments....the slide was soldered whit the time whit the blade so was remained .
PierPaolo siercovich
Do you say that the bridge slide is soldered to the blade? Because I have the pdf file of the site and it is a separate piece.
Or are you suggesting that the mouth chape was corroed entirely and thus is part of the scabbard?
There are some xray scans there in the file. I cannot see anything resembling a chape, but this iron fittings are unussual enough to focus in another.
Do you have pics of mouth chapes of thi period? I mean related to three studed or pelta chapes you can share?
I´ve love to make some mouth chapes for my spathas. If I only have an example to copy.
thanks in advance
leonardo,wait a minute

I immagine that the slide is soldered because you show me the picture were look like was soldered.but if you tell me that in others picture the slide is alone i can believe.

There are a really stupid and not scientific tendence of the responsable of the museums around europe to take the reperts and to assemble whitout sense.Mostly the single parts of thenscabbards were found alone.

If you have the Miks book there you can see some different reperts that is possible to hundestand there are mouth of scabbards.
PierPaolo siercovich
Isn´t Mik´s book sold out long time ago?

I understand there are lots of mouth chapes but I just don´t remember to see anyone associated to ring pommel swords. But I have seen lots of chapes and bridges though
Excellent work again Munazio, You should have dropped me a line for info on Ring Pommels. Its nice to see others doing this type of sword :lol: To answer one of Leonardos points nearly all ring finds do not have any evidence of mouth chapes, but I know of one find with a chape mouth which Rado posted on my thread;
http://www.romanarmytalk.com/20-roman-re...adivs.html
I have put them on all my ring swords as they were to be used in Cavalry displays and I wanted the mouth with a bit of extra strength when drawing the blade. As yet for most of all late swords there is very very few swords with a mouth chape. Keep up the good work Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sarmatian Ring Pommel dagger brennivs - tony drake 11 2,929 07-24-2017, 09:11 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Ring Pommel Sword Robert 7 2,414 05-02-2017, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Robert
  Pattern Welded Ring pommel gladius leonardod 3 2,015 04-14-2015, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Dan D'Silva