Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
and another ring pommel spatha...
I gave a try to this type.
The grip was something which kept me wondering how it was done. The usual method to attach the ring implies the grip is applied over the finished object like it is usually done. And thats the way used in most reproductions: sandwiched with Wood scales and cord plus leather. But it seems so middle age that I wanted to try something different.
So I tried hemp cord. I dyed it dark red.
The blade is lenticular , somewhat stiff. I suspect that all lenticular blades of this type are in fact octagonal corroed or carelessly repolished during their lifetime. But I made it lenticular anyway. Forged AISI 5160 Steel. The ring is riveted to the tang.
The scabbard is, as can be seen, Green dyed sheepskin. Pelta chape, bridge, both with garnet. I saw some examples with wire and I borrowed the idea.
Feel free to express how much out of autenticity I was.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

nice one!
Als Mensch zu dumm, als Schwein zu kleine Ohren...

Jürgen Graßler

www.schorsch-der-schmied.de
www.facebook.com/pages/AG-Historisches-Handwerk/203702642993872
Again another excellent Ring Pommel :lol: . There are to types of ring attachment the one you have described and the tang forged ring, and the grip could be done in many ways there is evidence for a wood grip, but you could just as well use some form of cord to wrap around. I also like your use of wire, again no evidence found. I have found it works very well along with cord.
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Thank you very much.
The wire is a solution I borrowed shamelessly from you.
I am aware there is no evidence suporting it. But I believe that we must to try alternative solutions to reconstruction problems because it is clear to me that things we consider familiar could be very different in their original form.
Is ithere any evidence of stitched leather in roman swords? Could the leather in scabbards be painted instead of dyed (like parchment)? Were many roman hilts actually covered in very thin hide like certainly many tolos and weapons are in other parts of the world?
May be things could be make in a very different way andwe simply are too affected by our own familiar ways. For example it is quite obvious that the ring in these swords was put before tan the actual grip. reconstructions often mimic medieval Wood, thread, pressed leather method.
How many other options we have? Horn is attacked by some bacteria that completely disintegrates it very quickly. But it is a very used material from ancient times.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sarmatian Ring Pommel dagger brennivs - tony drake 11 2,929 07-24-2017, 09:11 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Ring Pommel Sword Robert 7 2,417 05-02-2017, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Robert
  Pattern Welded Ring pommel gladius leonardod 3 2,015 04-14-2015, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Dan D'Silva