Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Syvanne\'s \"Military History of Late Rome 284-361\"
Inspired by your review, Francis, I took a look through some sections of the work available on Google Books.

It seems that the claim for cavalry dominating Roman armies earlier than previously thought comes from both an acceptance of the idea of Gallienus creating a 'mobile cavalry army' (a theory recent debunked by DB Campbell), and the further idea that this cavalry force was called a 'tagmata' and organised into '6000 man cavalry legions' - apparently all based on John Lydus... hmm.

Syvanne also claims that the limitanei were created much earlier than usually thought: "However, what modern historians have failed to understand is that the frontier forces had actually already been created during the first century AD and the word limitanei was just a new apt term for these.'

Anyone boasting that the entirety of 'modern' historical scholarship has 'failed to understand' something had better have some pretty dynamic evidence to back up the claim. The book doesn't seem to provide any, beyond the word limitanei appearing in the Historia Augusta. Stuff like that just makes the whole thing sound amateurish. Even Stephen Dando Collins doesn't claim to have outwitted all previous historians!
Nathan Ross
I would read a book like this to learn things about the late-Roman army that I did not already know or think I knew.  It seems to me from the reviews and comments that one would have to know as much as, if not more than, the author to know if one was being led up the garden path or not.  I think I'll give it a miss.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
If it is dynamic evidence you are looking for, Nathan, you will be disappointed alas. The author's premise is to rely mainly on problematic source evidence which is anachronistic or from a non-'historical' genre such as Saints Lives or later Christian narratives. What he does bring is a solid grounding of the material and all its breadth. He is able to summarize or evaluate Roman military doctrine and campaigns in a period rarely covered in such depth. This coupled with his iconoclastic approach opens a fresh perspective which - while questionable - is often stimulating. For stimulating read also frustrating!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
This is indeed tragic news as I was looking so much forward to this book and got it the day it was published. I think we all indulge in a little speculation in our works, I am as guilty of that as the next man, but when a historian makes statements as bald fact that really cannot be substantiated then that does concern me about that historian's academic knowledge of the topic.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
I would urge you to read it, Adrian. If in nothing else, it throws a lot of bath water around with the odd baby also.

Seriously, though, I haven't read such an extreme revisionist reading of Julian and it is quite stimulating to see a writer reintrepret source material in a consistent and plausible counter-narrative. While I suspect the truth is not so black and white, I know that when I read Ammianus again, Syvanne's interpretation will whisper in the background. Also, his evaluation of Constantius II is one sorely needed - although again he may be stretching it too far . . .
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
I will see Ilkka in the near future, he will give me a copy of his book in person. It will be interesting. Wink
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
I will be interested in your thoughts! I did enjoy your pics in the book, it must be said!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Thanks Francis!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Book on History Of Rome Narukami 5 2,387 12-28-2012, 03:49 AM
Last Post: ANTONIVS MAGNVS
  Journals on Roman military history Cornelius A 15 5,868 10-14-2012, 02:38 PM
Last Post: S. Marcer