Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the 10th legion Fretensis–Antoniniana in Jerusalem
Ave Mr Hasding,Ross and Renatu. Thank you for your prompt reply. My inquiry about resettlement of the 10th Fretensis Legionnaires is based upon legend and being an unusual action on the part of the Roman Army to beef up the legions in Jerusalem since Hadrians cross island wall was nearing or completed and there was a shortage of troops on Jerusalem. That in of itself is unusual even for me who lacks any knowledge about the RA worth mentioning. It seemed probable that there might have been an unusual settlement of RA veterans in the very mountainous area of Abruzzo to beef up that area that was then devoid of population or development. I am still reading the London Univ. PhD dissertation The Settlement of Veterans in the Roman Empire by J.C. Mann.lso remember reading about the Irish conscripts who joined the RA in Briton and learned about army training and due to loose discipline managed to go to and from from Ireland at will for their own purposes and that the situation became so bad that Rome sent their Commanders from Rome to restore order and once in England decided to march the "bad guys" legion and legionnaires to Spain for permanent reassignment in that place. So it did not seem improbable that they would also clean house as it were and remove the Xth legion to Jerusalem and resettle the vast empty tracts of the Apennine Mountains with veterans and their famkilies while marching back to Rome and Jerusalem. Amen and Thank You. Peter timber (petertimber@msn,.com) Yonkers, NY

Messages In This Thread
the 10th legion Fretensis–Antoniniana in Jerusalem - by peter timber - 11-01-2014, 05:24 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10th Legion sent to Rome, enroute to Jewish War Petertimber 4 1,928 10-25-2014, 07:22 AM
Last Post: Renatus
  Which Legion was in Jerusalem 35. AD Charlie 5 3,567 01-02-2012, 05:50 PM
Last Post: Charlie
  X Fretensis in Aelia Capitolina (Jerusalem) Jona Lendering 1 1,127 11-22-2010, 02:42 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell