Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the 10th legion Fretensis–Antoniniana in Jerusalem
#361154 When I read that the Governor of Britain, Julius Severus who was sent to Palestine during the Kochba revolt don't you think he might have assembled a Legion (I won't even bring up Legion numbers at this point) of British Legionaires and their families some of whom may have been eligible for settlement in Abruzzo while others suitable for combat in Palestine? I recall reading somewhere (where???)) that the Romans appreciated the Dutch for their combative excellence , particularly in swampy and waterborne areas and also recruited them to go along with this made-up unit legion to augment the army in Palestine. Bear in mind when I say marched to Rome I mean the soldiers and the veterans and their families all journeyed to Italy and Abruzzo. not ROME City proper and all led by Governor Jjulius Severus who just kept on marching to Jerusalem.
The Irish conscripts were not conscripted in England THEY ROWED OVER and then joined the legion(s) having heard about the good pay and weaponry. Further it was this constant awol of the irish recruits rowing back to Ireland whenever they wished. I don';t know when this occurred but I read about the tales of these two Irish Roman brothers who rowed over to join the Romans and then after a time fled back to serve their local irish chieftains to train their own tribes. There was much tension with these irish and local "shenanigans" and the Centurions who led them were unable to keep order (ALLEGEDLY). Rome got wind of this loose behavior and sent Roman troops to Ireland to round up the AWOL and marched the legion/batch of them to Spain for permanent assignment so the tale went. Even the British Army had rules and regulation which were not obeyed!!!!! Did it ever occur to anyone that despite all the rules and regulation policies and procedures even the ROMANS deviated so anything is possible if it is not recorded. Thank you for your patience. There are still thousands of blue and green eyed blondes and red heads walking the Abruzzo region this very day not knowing their descendants were English and Dutch.

Messages In This Thread
the 10th legion Fretensis–Antoniniana in Jerusalem - by peter timber - 11-01-2014, 10:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10th Legion sent to Rome, enroute to Jewish War Petertimber 4 1,928 10-25-2014, 07:22 AM
Last Post: Renatus
  Which Legion was in Jerusalem 35. AD Charlie 5 3,567 01-02-2012, 05:50 PM
Last Post: Charlie
  X Fretensis in Aelia Capitolina (Jerusalem) Jona Lendering 1 1,127 11-22-2010, 02:42 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell