Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts for III Augusta Helmet (1st Century A.D.)
I recently acquired a gazelle skin from a family friend and it sparked an idea to try and put together a fun helmet with an old, beaten up Coolus C helmet that I'm not doing anything with. I wanted to run it by the RAT community to make sure it sounds historically viable before I get to any sort of physical work.

I'm imagining a helmet worn by a member of the III Augusta in the early to mid 1st Century A.D. with the gazelle skin attached and hanging down from the neck guard. The idea would be that the skin - which would cover the top, nape guard, and cheek plates - keeps the metal from shining and giving away one's position and the portion hanging below the neck guard serves to keep the son from the neck and shoulders.

I couldn't find any examples of someone trying this during my searches here and other places so I'm uncertain if it's merely not been done or may not make practical or historical sense in a manner and I'm just not seeing it. If anyone has thoughts on such an idea, I'd love to hear them.

If I think the project sounds good, I can move onto the actual putting together of the piece which is a whole other area I'd need help with. Smile
Conversation with a student in a Greek - Roman warfare course:
"The Roman army was extremely inefficient."
"You sure, buddy? Because I study them and they were excellent."
"The Roman Empire was conquered by hired Greek mercenaries, not the Romans."

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making my own Helmet - thoughts, ideas, tips???? sillious saurus 19 4,743 03-20-2008, 01:27 PM
Last Post: jsantell