Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Illustrations of Sassanid Persian Clibanarii
Quote:In this post I've given links to a picture of the clibanus portable cooking-cover . . . As I mentioned in the post linked above, I think the connection is far simpler. Both clibanus (and perhaps the torn word that Francis mentioned) and catafractus relate to something being covered over or enclosed. Originally catafractarius was used for a cavalryman covered in armour. Clibanus indicates something completely enclosed, and so the word clibanarius was adopted to indicate a heavier form of catafractarius. The connection with cooking covers is purely coincidental.
I thought there had been something. As I have said, I have never liked the 'oven-man' theory and I only put forward my idea to see of there was a way of reconciling two conflicting etymological arguments. Your suggestion is much more satisfactory.

Quote:Here are a few clips from that thread Michael
Yes, I was aware of those. However, I don't think that they speak of the cuirass being worn over mail, which was Dan's point, as I understand it.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)

Messages In This Thread
Illustrations of Sassanid Persian Clibanarii - by Renatus - 11-21-2014, 05:59 PM