Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plutarch Translation
I am trying to get a better feel for Plutarch's Life of Gaius Gracchus, 5.1, which states that the Roman govt took over responsibility for paying for and providing the soldiers' clothing. I am wondering what the actual Greek word was and if it only related to clothing, or to military arms or equipment in general.

Thanks!
For much of the Roman period, the soldier bought their own equipment and paid for it themselves. It cost them various amounts through the ages but as the time got later, the gear got more expensive. The state did sometimes give equipment to the soldiers, but it depended on the circumstances.
Regards, Jason
Quote:For much of the Roman period, the soldier bought their own equipment and paid for it themselves. It cost them various amounts through the ages but as the time got later, the gear got more expensive. The state did sometimes give equipment to the soldiers, but it depended on the circumstances.

I get that part. But at some part the Romans probably had to have started either issuing out equipment to the average Joe/Gaius who couldn't afford it (1500 ass 5th Class or capite censi), subsidizing it heavily, or issuing it and deducting the costs from the meager stipendum. Considering the wholesale enlistment of the poorer classes starting in the 122 BC period (C. Gracchus), to 107 BC (Marius) with the capite censi, to later periods when scratch force legions were raised in weeks and sent into battle by men like Caesar, at some point and time the State (or its generals) would have had to have taken a much larger role in ensuring a suitable industry to construct equipment existed and that enough could be provided to the army.

I wonder when the custom really started. Was the 122 Lex Sempronia Militaris the spark? I've read some secondary sources that state that C. Gracchus was not only responsible for issuing clothing but also equipment. I just wonder if there is something I'm missing through the translation.

HEY GREEK GURUS, help a frater out.
In the Late Republic, the soldiers were levied rapidly for wars like the Cimbrian and Civil wars where legion numbers made it to over XXXX. The poorer citizens were often recruited for service or were drafted, and they could not afford armor, so they were most likely given it to them by their commander out of his own pay check.
Regards, Jason
Quote:I am wondering what the actual Greek word was and if it only related to clothing, or to military arms or equipment in general.
To answer your question, the word in the Greek is esthêta, the accusative singular of esthês, 'a garment, clothes, raiment'. This is the equivalent of the Latin vestis, 'a garment, clothes, attire'. It seems clear that it is indeed clothing that is referred to, rather than anything else.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)