Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caligae treatment?
Ave! I suppose I'll keep it short and sweet.

Where does one go to find oils/substances to kind of "treat" their caligae? I spoke with a local leatherworker, and he said he could possibly work something out, and that he may have some oil in stock. However, I came back two days later and the business closed... so I guess the bottom line is, what should I get and where?
You mean neatsfoot oil? A leather shop like Tandy's sell it.
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Or check stores selling horse riding equipment -> leather grease et al. for treatig saddles etc.
Would agree with Martin an equestrian shop or suppliers usually stocks various brands of leather grease this is usually a mixture of various fats and oils including neatsfoot..... I only ever use straight neatsfoot for softening and reconditioning old leather..... alternatively make your own dubbin there are recipes online.

Currently using this one seems widely available search for "Effax leather grease"...
http://www.effax.de/produktuebersicht.php?p=566&s=%&g=

Sports shops or shops selling Hiking/climbing gear may also stock similar...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Both neatsfoot oil and harness oil would be good for protecting the leather in long term circumstances. I use neatsfoot on my Cingulum ( military belt ) to keep it nice. Leather grease is good too but, well, greasy.
Regards, Jason
I use Neatsfoot, and Olive oil also works because you'll have to re-fresh it before it goes rancid anyways.
in hiking stores you can buy snowseal it is oil and wax based (you can make it yourself too) it conditions the leather and you just need to grease it now and then.
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
Weird.

I got a bottle of Neatsfoot oil on Amazon some years ago. I'd also check Tandy leather, area Tack shops.
You could also use mineral oil. It doesn't seem to stain/darken leather like neatsfoot can.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Best 'modern' solution I've found is Ballistol. Good for leather, wood, metal (ferrous and precious) and all manner of other stuff.
Doesn't go sticky, doesn't attract dirt and smells pretty good too.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Quote:Best 'modern' solution I've found is Ballistol. Good for leather, wood, metal (ferrous and precious) and all manner of other stuff.
Doesn't go sticky, doesn't attract dirt and smells pretty good too.

Apparently produced from a specification for the German Army in 1904 and used until 1945 by them, the object was to have a universal oil with some medicinal properties.. that could be used on all equipment.. so for metal wood and leather, its alkaline in nature.... sounds ideal, curiously enough I bought a bottle a few weeks ago to try it out...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Quote:Weird.

I got a bottle of Neatsfoot oil on Amazon some years ago. I'd also check Tandy leather, area Tack shops.
You could also use mineral oil. It doesn't seem to stain/darken leather like neatsfoot can.
A lot of people say that mineral oil damages leather in the long term. I haven't found a reliable study yet though.
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
I really like mink oil myself.
Huh. Well, FWIW, I've been using food-grade or medicinal grade mineral oil (bought at a pharmacy) for about 3 years now and had no problems; although I haven't really used it on my leather stuff. I've used min oil once or twice to clean some dirt off or just as a quick use, as I still tend to use neatsfoot oil.

I've used Baby oil (mineral oil with "fragrance") in a pinch, since the bottle was small and can just toss in a bag or satchel for travel, etc. If it's supposed to be "safe" for use on babies, then I'd like to think it'd be "safe" to use on adults and organic material like leather.
(and my metal stuff then has a nice freshly-oiled Baby smell to it Big Grin )

Unless the "fragrance" is a compound that ruins leather?

I really only use the mineral oil for my metal stuff, replacing 3-in-1 oil and machine oil that I'd been using. Just wanted to move away from something potentially toxic.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
I use god old Spit cause I'm hard :woot: ....does take 3 years to soften though.... :-(
Kevin
Kevin
Google mineral oil leather. As I say, I haven't yet found a source that looks authoritative, but better than half the results insist that mineral oil will weaken leather, trap moisture and cause dry rot, or something else undesirable.
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/