Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Participants wanted, first \'all late Roman\' Event
Mmmmhh, the Northern frontier....<br>
I've been there and it is rather far, but not too far<br>
I've heard thet they want to celebrate the nomination of Constantine as Augustus at York in 1996...<br>
John, where can I find photos of your group? Which is your webpage address?<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Hi,<br>
<br>
Our web-page is at www.comitatus.net <br>
The site's photos need updating but it shows you what we looked like in our first season.<br>
<br>
Next year is the second year of a small Roman Festival in York. Last year we gave it a miss. We're meeting the organisers in the next few days to try and get a feel for next summers event. I'm wary of a "Carry on Roman" style event, prefering a more "serious" approach. Hopefully 2006 would be special event.<br>
<br>
John <p></p><i></i>
Nice page, John!<br>
<br>
Have you already got armoured?<br>
My group has been at the Summer Hill Festival this year. We intend to go to Chester next year, will you be there?<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Hi,<br>
<br>
No we don't use a single armourer, but several. There are about three Depeeka helmets represented, because of their availability and low cost. But we aim to look alike but different, and too much Depeeka kit would make us look too similar.<br>
<br>
Because we concentrate on Living History we hope our recruits get a spear, shield, cup, bowl and spoon before armour. And a tent/shelter should also be high on their shopping list!<br>
<br>
I seem photos of some of your group near Hartlepool, and received reports on the Chester event. We have no plans to attend this year, but it's a possible for the future.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
<br>
John <p></p><i></i>
No John,<br>
I was meaning if you wore body armour!<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>

Rolf Steiner
John,<br>
The arms and armour worn by my group companions is almost exclusively Deepeka. We too have modified minor things and desire to submit the helmets to a thorough overhaul: As they are now are showy but unacceptable.<br>
I'm the only one who has his items custom made and, therefore, I'm now the less armoured of all!<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>

Rolf Steiner
Hi,<br>
<br>
On a good day we can get 18 pedes on parade, nearly half of which will be wearing body armour. Generally it will be mail, of varying size of link. A couple of shirts are Depeeka which have had the zinc coating removed in a kiln. We also have some scale as well. Swords are less well represented, although this year they may be a move towards buying the baldes and fiting them ourselves. We have enough bone workers to attemp it.<br>
<br>
But really as long as our pedes have spear, shield and military belt the rest is optional. Other military equipment can be borrowed when the need arises. Each pede tries to develop at least one demonstrable craft to please the public, be it bone/antler working, metal work/casting, textiles, wood work and using a pole lathe, making hamata, hunting/fishing, net making, gaming, cooking, managing the armoury, religion, or just running the office at the HQ tent.<br>
<br>
To be honest I see Late Roman infantry as general purpose, with a heavy reliance on missile weapons to keep the enemy at a distance. That's what makes them so facinating compared to the Early Imperial Legionary.<br>
<br>
As a group we are under two years old, and positively want to work alongside and learn from other groups portraying the same period. It would be great to work together at future events. In due course I'll post up our events list for next season.<br>
<br>
John <p></p><i></i>
To all late romans,<br>
A member of my group forwarded me this email from Archeon :<br>
<br>
<strong>Hello Gilles,<br>
Archeon will try to organize an event 30 july - 4 august. The theme is the Big Migration ( 5-7th century)<br>
If we can find enough re-enactors join this event it will be fixed ( definite)<br>
If you are interested you can contact:<br>
Archeon: www.archeon.nl <br>
Hans Siebelink<br>
[email protected] <br>
With kind regards</strong><br>
<br>
What do you think of this, is it the event Dan's talking about or another one ?<br>
<br>
Valete<br>
Alain<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Oh my.... !<br>
Things are complicating and the lack of news from Dan does not help at all!<br>
Those new proposed dates are not good for us (COH.I.GALL.) Most of us are on their holidays or tending the archaeological site during its yearly 'peak-hour'.<br>
I suppose that some of us (read 'small number') could attend anyway but, Easter or summer, the main problem is that while we ignore for when is the event scheduled, we'll be unable to know how many of us shall be able to go!<br>
As Robert wrote, mid December is a clear deadline!<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>

Rolf Steiner
Same problem for us... Dan, can you tell us more about this, are you aware about this event ?<br>
<br>
Alain <p></p><i></i>
I think it will be safe to say that a mid-summer event at Archeon will be impossible for most groups, including the continental ones, because of the fixed schedules. I could go, but as a sole Late Roman? Suicidal...<br>
<br>
Indeed, this news combined with the lack of news from Dan is worriying..<br>
We could, however, fix this summer date for 2005. With all the early Romans running around at Xanten, this could be a much more interesting alternative for us Late Romans. Plus the weather will be so much better!<br>
<br>
But, let's not get ahead of ourselves and wait for Dan to call back.<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Good morning,<br>
<br>
On the 7/8 August at Stoneleigh, SE of Coventry, English Heritage (EH) are holding their Festival of History. This is the successor to the old-style Kirby Hall event, which some of you may have attended. Various periods of History are represented, including the Roman period. There will be a multi-period market and all the things you would expect from such an event.<br>
<br>
There will be an early Imperial encampment and display from the Ermine Street Guard, and a Late Roman encampment and display provided by Comitatus, Britannia and the Troop (3 - 4 Late Roman cavalry). This would be the largest number of pure Late Roman re-enactors ever put together in the UK.<br>
<br>
EH are keen to see more Late Roman groups represented. Last year it was just ourselves. They have suggested that I broaden the invite to continental groups to guage the level of interest. I appreciate that it is short notice, but hopefully this will lead to an even larger event in 2005 to celebrate EH reaching 21 years of age. <br>
<br>
Please let me know if you're interested. This isn't meant to compete with any other event. It is an annual occassion and the premier event of the UK re-enactment calendar. But the prominance given to the Late Roman period is new, and I hope we all can take advantage of that.<br>
<br>
John<br>
<br>
Comitatus <p></p><i></i>
Good to read this ! I'm afraid we won't be able to come, except if the event programmed this weekend is cancelled.<br>
Alain, (Foederati). <p></p><i></i>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>This is the successor to the old-style Kirby Hall event<hr><br>
Is the Kirby Hall event dead & buried then? They never tell me anything..<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Okay, just heard today. Archeon wants us to come in august, ironically, it seems the same weekend as the new EH event!<br>
<br>
We have counter proposed the Easter Weekend as the best for everyone, base on the input of this thread. We should know in the next few days if they will agree. The new EH event in august is one more reeason to do this at Easter, for it may mean some of the British groups could attend also.<br>
<br>
Titus, I am counting that any Ostia/Roma event you organize won't be on Easter weekend, I recall you tried to avoid this the past two times.<br>
<br>
I will post again as soon as there is word.<br>
<br>
Aitor, I will bring all the felt weapons in any case, for people to try.<br>
<br>
Dan <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman groups wanted for Event in Moscow! caiusbeerquitius 3 1,929 02-06-2015, 10:13 AM
Last Post: Rado
  Marle 20-9 2009 Late roman event. (France) Bran ap Maclou 25 7,695 10-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Last Post: FAVENTIANVS
  Late Roman Event Sledmere House, East Yorkshire John Conyard 2 1,335 05-09-2009, 07:36 AM
Last Post: John Conyard