Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would 3D printed objects be acceptable?
So ok, this is a 3Dprinted plastic dress, but it is composed of hundreds of hinged parts, and the designer compares it to chain mail. If you can print this complexity and have it work, metal mail may also be possible. Question: would it be acceptable to the community vs. hand made?
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/symb...A_Facebook
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Quote:Question: would it be acceptable to the community vs. hand made?

In plastic??
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Pretty sure the OP specifically metioned metal 3D printing.

MY questions would be about how the riveting would look, even if it is only "mock" riveted.
M.VAL.BRUTUS
Brandon Barnes
Legio VI Vicrix
www.legionsix.org
No, I would not think it would be acceptable at all. The mind boggles at the havoc that could be wrought...21st Century trooper helmets!!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Perhaps it won't be for reenactment use per se, but being able to print 3D models of actual artifacts in actual size and color, would bring museums to the end person, even the manufactdurer or craftsman.
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
I've often heard that printed steel is weaker than forged due to how it's fused together, though that may be outdated knowledge now or soon.

Another thing I'd wonder about is how are the rings supported while being printed? This dress looks like most of the individual pieces would be lying flat on the printing surface, but mail rings are always tilted, correct?
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
on FB RAT Jurjen had an excellent point: 3D printing of belt plates would allow anyone to cast or form very accurate duplicates without carving them yourself, giving you a very wide array to work from. If you are sand casting the object it does not even need to be in a casting wax, since you're just creating an impression for the mold.
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Richard I think that even just some good 3D scans will be helping a lot and of course if is just for models, 3D scans of the reenactor work would be also a nice to have
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
Als for THE opening question i would-be say it is as good (or as bad) as cola cast items.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Sorry yes, drifting a bit. But then if you can capture, how much detail do you need? How small? This ungainly looking thing scans to 350 micros.
http://www.dynamism.com/3d-scanners/fuel3d.shtml
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
"Perhaps it won't be for reenactment use per se, but being able to print 3D models of actual artifacts in actual size and color, would bring museums to the end person, even the manufactdurer or craftsman."

That's been tried recently with making handling replicas of items for the Staffordshire Hoard. Unfortunately, the end results on work at that degree of detail was unsatisfactory as it is possible to see the stepping caused by rendering it in layers.
The amount of fettling involved meant that it was quicker to just make them the traditional way.

I'm sure it will improve though.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
What if using for creating positives for casting?
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
Yes, my thought too. A library of belt plates, for example, or buckles etc, that can be printed in wax. You could always smooth the wax before casting. The really high end metal sintering does not have this problem, so it will improve.
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Acceptable Scutum Sizes? Pointer 7 1,785 11-01-2012, 02:42 AM
Last Post: Paul Elliott