Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ISIS destroys archaeological treasures in Mosul
Quote:Well, this is a direct assault on stuff in a museum, but you must remember that pre-Islamic (archeological) monuments and sites all through the Muslim world have for hunderds of years suffered from disinterest, neglet, looting and wantom destruction, some countries more then the other. It literaly goes with the territory. As with everything IS is just carrying it one step further. Remember the blowing up of those giant Buddah statues by the Taliban?

I remember that. They were trying to destroy that statue for years. It was very, very sad.

However my ancestors of my religion (Christianity) may have done an atrocity by destroying Alexandria's library. I know they say it could' have happened by Julius Caesar when he went to war with Ptolemy XIII, or when Aurelian took back Alexandria, but still.

I think to sum it up man has done a lot of harm around the World.
"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." ~Cicero

Quote:This is what happens when really really stupid people get together and are able to do what they want. This really shows what we are facing here people so fanatical and dumb that they think everyone respects archeological treasures is a heathen.

This is what happens when a group of people who want to watch the world burn get together. They want to die. I remember watching a small recruiting video that talks about their goals.

Their goals are extremely scary. If I can find a video I'll post it.

If I'm not mistaken, most of the statues being smashed in this video are actually copies (the Parthian-era statues from Hatra, etc.). Most or all are safely in other museums out of ISIS control. The Assyrian stone lion, however, was an original, sadly.
Quote:However my ancestors of my religion (Christianity) may have done an atrocity by destroying Alexandria's library. I know they say it could' have happened by Julius Caesar when he went to war with Ptolemy XIII, or when Aurelian took back Alexandria, but still.

They may have, however do you take responsibility for their actions? I get the sentiment, and I'm sure that my ancestors perhaps have done some messed-up things, but that was them and nothing that I ever had control over or responsibility for. When you judge a person, you judge them for what they do alone, not what their people did. It's why we're friends with Germany and Japan, despite fighting their nations in a massive war.

Sorry, that sounds like a personal attack when I re-read it. I just don't want you falling into the "Oh yeah? Well you guys did X!" trope. Smile
-Ryan

-Cave a sinistra manu utebatur pro bellator.
Hohum..................kill them all, let Allah sort them out............
Tom Mallory
NY, USA
Wannabe winner of the corona
graminea and the Indy 500.
Quote:
Aaron post=365793 Wrote:However my ancestors of my religion (Christianity) may have done an atrocity by destroying Alexandria's library. I know they say it could' have happened by Julius Caesar when he went to war with Ptolemy XIII, or when Aurelian took back Alexandria, but still.

They may have, however do you take responsibility for their actions? I get the sentiment, and I'm sure that my ancestors perhaps have done some messed-up things, but that was them and nothing that I ever had control over or responsibility for. When you judge a person, you judge them for what they do alone, not what their people did. It's why we're friends with Germany and Japan, despite fighting their nations in a massive war.

Sorry, that sounds like a personal attack when I re-read it. I just don't want you falling into the "Oh yeah? Well you guys did X!" trope. Smile

Your post never sounded like a personal attack at least to me. If anyone post things that sounds hostile without meaning to it's me.

I've been on too many hostile websites that argue, debate politics/religion, but when I come here I don't see any of that. It's why in the beginning of me coming in here I made an ass out of myself. I'm glad the moderator of the site took off my silly thread I had. I didn't read the rules of the site in detail. When I did I felt like an idiot. I wish I could thank them whoever did it for me though.

As to get back to subject we were talking about, I'm an agreeance with you on personal responsibility for ones actions, and not blaming the ancestors. Man has done some very heinous and crazy acts in the past.

I'm glad we live in the civilization we live in today and to be able to revel over the Romans instead of actually living in those times. I'd probably already be dead by disease, dying in the front lines of some crazy battle, or who knows what. I just wish other men would follow suit. Some men still live with the mentality of our ancestors times.

Folks, even though this is OT, we are still NOT going to talk about the good and bad things of modern religion. Discuss all the statue-smashing the Romans did at leisure, but take care not to stroll into modern times.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I noticed a few of you were questioning whether or not ISIS has been profiting from the plunder of their own culture, this may shed some light on that:
http://1389blog.com/2014/07/14/isis-prof...ent-sites/

I inadvertently found this article while revisiting the significant artifacts (shields in particular) that were found at Dura Europos. My personal opinion on this matter is that global measures should be taken to eradicate this group, and those that think like them, from the face of this earth. Although they are mindlessly depriving their countrymen and posterity from possessing some semblance of a culture, they are also robbing our culture and history as well. East or West, we all share a common history on this earth as human beings. No crime that this group has committed is excusable - this takes precedence amongst their infamous deeds. Extreme measures should be taken, if not for the sake of the countless people whose lives have been/will be taken, then do it for the 200,000 years of advancement and culture that we have developed and the more than 200,000 years of generations to come.
"The strong did what they could, the weak suffered what they must."

- Thucydides

Sean Cantrell
Northern Michigan
More information about the damage at the Mosul museum. It seems that at least a few statues were copies.

https://gatesofnineveh.wordpress.com/201...rom-hatra/
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
ISIS is said to have levelled Nimrud with caterpillars!
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
This reminds me of the Cultural Revolution in China in the mid-60s when the Red Guards tried to destroy the entirety of Chinese culture prior to Chairman Mao. Fortunately, the task was too vast for them, but many architectural treasures, art works and books were destroyed before Mao decided that things were getting out of hand, suppressed the movement and had the leaders executed. Unfortunately, there seems to be nobody in the Middle East who can do the same to these childish fanatics.
Pecunia non olet

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ISIS destroys Hatra Eleatic Guest 17 4,215 05-28-2015, 06:28 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  ISIS destroys ancient statues, shrines & artifacts ValentinianVictrix 25 3,882 08-08-2014, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar