Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Archaeological Dig at Al-Lajjun (Legio VI)
My Legion was contacted about this:

http://www.jezreelvalleyregionalproject.com/

"My name is Matthew Adams, an archaeologist currently excavating the castra of the VIth Legion at Legio in Israel. As you are probably aware, the VIth was stationed there in the 2nd-3rd Centuries CE. This summer, we'll be excavating from 13 June to 10 July and thought that some of your members might be interested in joining us. It would certainly be a fun experience for all. I'm attaching our flier, and you can find all the information on our website: "

Thought some of you that have the time and money might be interested. I looked into it myself, but it's too expensive for me. College credit is available though.

Anyways, they've found everything from table feet to scale armor, and they haven't even excavated a fraction of the fortress yet. So it has the potential to yield finds on the scale of even something like Dura Europos.
Quote:[i]"My name is Matthew Adams, an archaeologist currently excavating the castra of the VIth Legion at Legio in Israel.
To avoid confusion, it should be pointed out that this is Lajjun in Israel, not Lejjun in Jordan. The derivation of the name in both cases is, of course, fairly obvious ;-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there