Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek and Roman Armour Day
I am crosser than a cross thing that is particularly cross!!! Cry Cry Cry

My Boss is at the Test Match and I have to cover for him so I now wont be able to attend Sad

Bother and blast...can I please ask for some feedback on here after the event?

Going away to sulk.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:I am crosser than a cross thing that is particularly cross!!! Cry Cry Cry

My Boss is at the Test Match and I have to cover for him so I now wont be able to attend Sad
If it is any consolation, the whole thing is apparently going to be filmed for a podcast (the main reason I shall be wearing my bejewelled battle shorts). Alternatively, that might just serve to put you off your lunch ;-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:My Boss is at the Test Match and I have to cover for him so I now wont be able to attend Sad
If things continue as they are, you may still be able to attend!
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Quote:
Vindex post=368787 Wrote:My Boss is at the Test Match and I have to cover for him so I now wont be able to attend Sad
If things continue as they are, you may still be able to attend!

I have been unpatriotic enough to pray for the Aussies!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
You shall go to the ball!
Michael King Macdona

[strike]<happy dancing>[/strike]

[strike]Trying to track my Boss down to see if he is coming home or not![/strike]

Boss is staying in Town so wont get there. Sad
Moi Watson

A very interesting event, and it was great to meet some of you too - Mike Bishop, Graham Sumner, John Conyard, Michael (Renatus) and Georgios (Macedon). My apologies if I failed to locate others!

I wasn't taking notes, but a few of the points raised during the talks stuck with me. In particular, I thought the following might rate a bit of discussion here:

Dr Mike Burns, in the q&a at the end of his paper The South Italic cuirass from the 6th to 3rd centuries BC, mentioned that the familiar 'square' Roman cardiophylax was basically invented by Peter Connelly! He said that Peter had admitted there was no real evidence for it. When asked for his view, Dr Burns turned to a slide showing a late Italic muscled breastplate - 'I think it looked like that', he said.

Guy Stiebel's paper Also he armed him with a coat of mail’: the armour in Roman Judaea was full of intriguing stuff. A 'complete Roman soldier' found in the breach of the wall at Gamla, for example, dated to AD67. The man had a Coolus helmet (browguard and cheekguard found), a pugio (handle found) and a lorica segmentata with sliding rivet backplates. According to his shield plate, his name was Magius, of the century of Gallus, Legio V Macedonica. The only example of a named Roman soldier known from archaeology?

Guy also showed a graffito (found, I think in a cave near Hebron) of a 'Jewish rebel fighter' probably from the Bar Kokhba revolt, dressed in a high-necked coat or tunic with a criss-cross design (scale? padding?) and armed with a long spear and small round shield. Dr Stiebel pointed out the man's 'punk' hairstyle...

Another thing I never knew - the Italic G helmet from Hebron was found with a large amount of mail inside the bowl, apparently as storage. Ideas of coifs spring to mind, but probably should not be entertained...

There was also, shown very briefly, a Roman shoulder guard - a rounded half-circle, as I recall. I'd certainly never seen that before!

Christian Miks' The rise and development of segmented helmets in the later Roman to early Byzantine army was the last paper, and I could have done with being more attentive, as there was some interesting stuff here too.

I got the impression (although I could be wrong) that Dr Miks was proposing a 6th century date for the Deir el Medineh helmet, based on the similarity to the recent finds from Novae dated c.580 (as I recall...) He further suggests that the helmets on the Arch of Galerius, often considered to resemble the D-el-M, look far more like later lamellar helmets (Avar, perhaps?), and showed a number of slides that did appear very convincing in this regard...

:-)
Nathan Ross
I'll second that: it was an extremely stimulating event. I regret that I was not as assiduous as Nathan in identifying fellow RATers!

To add a couple of points to Nathan's comments: Peter Connolly's rendition of the Roman cardiophylax was, he told Dr Burns, based on Polybius' description of it as being a brass plate a span square but, as Nathan says, there was no other evidence for it. I too was flagging a bit by the time it came to Christian Miks' paper, which is a pity as it contained a lot of interesting stuff. I would like to see it in print although, if the proposed podcast becomes available, it should be possible to hear it again when I am fresher. My recollection of what he said about the dating of the Deir el Medineh helmet differs from Nathan's in that I thought that he dated it to the early 5th century. I have to say that this surprised me, as I have long thought that some of the figures on the Arch of Galerius showed that type of helmet, especially those with a ring on top, like the helmet itself. That said, at least one of the figures certainly does seem to show a lamellar helmet. I must have another look at pictures of the reliefs.
Michael King Macdona

It was truly a very interesting event. I especially enjoyed my little talk with the Smiths (the re-enactors who appeared during Mike's speech) in which I asked about their tactical use of their scuta. It was great to see some of you guys there and hope that there will soon be more events to meet up in.
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ
I had a really enjoyable day. It was just a pity not to be able to meet up with everyone or spend more time with each other.

It was a pleasure to see Peter Connolly originals too, even if in some cases you had to lean over bewildered students to see them.

Highlight of the day.... Mike in his bejewelled battle shorts of course!! :-o

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:Guy Stiebel's paper Also he armed him with a coat of mail’: the armour in Roman Judaea was full of intriguing stuff. A 'complete Roman soldier' found in the breach of the wall at Gamla, for example, dated to AD67. The man had a Coolus helmet (browguard and cheekguard found), a pugio (handle found) and a lorica segmentata with sliding rivet backplates. According to his shield plate, his name was Magius, of the century of Gallus, Legio V Macedonica. The only example of a named Roman soldier known from archaeology?
Guy's catalogue of the Gamla finds is now online. Get it while it's hot ;-)

Mike Bishop

Quote:Guy's catalogue of the Gamla finds is now online.

Great! Thanks Mike. :-)
Nathan Ross
Thanks to Lindsay Powell (who pointed it out to me), I can reveal that the presentations of the Greek and Roman Armour Day are now online.

Mike Bishop

I see that the back of my head features in a number of the shots. I didn't realise that my bald patch was so prominent!
Michael King Macdona

Splendid. Don't we owe you a case of cider or something?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?