Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trappings of Roman military clothing
Dear all
Regards

My name is Alaa' Barraneia, I'm an Egyptian Archaeology student, and I need some help with my master degree research which is entitled " The decorations and trappings of Roman military clothing in the age of Roman empire 1st century BC: 7th century A.D"
I have already red the books of Mr Graham Sumner "Roman military dress", and "Roman military clothing 1.2.3". Which I found pretty useful for the research.
I need a list of titles for books regarding my research. References, tomes, guides, anything regarding my research, and I'll try to find it in the libraries, or online.
I would be so grateful if you could help me.

Thank you in advance.
Best regards
Alaa' Barraneia
War and Worship
Wearing the Cloak
Maybe the one about household textiles, dunno the name (good for seeing the difference b/w dress and hangings Big Grin )

Also, anything you can download from Met Museum, V&A, Philly, Kunsthistorisches, also their catalogues.
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
You should also look up the actual archaeological finds, there have been tons of Tunics found in Egypt and many have papers written for them.
(These are not in any particular order)

"Military Decorations of the Roman Army", Valerie Maxfield

"Early Imperial "Apron" ", JRMES V3 1992 MC Bishop

"Roman Military Equipment", Bishop & Coulston

"Roman Shoe Assemblage From Vindolanda Roman Fort" Elizabeth M Greene, U Western Ontario

"Roman Remains in the Eastern Desert of Egypt", David Meredith, Journal Egyptian Archaeology v38 1952

"Oxford Handbook of Roman Egypt", Edited by Christina Riggs

"Gravestone of M Favonius Facilis at Colchester", EJ Phillips JSTOR Britannia V6 1975

You should also consult the extensive bibliographies seen in Sumner's book and the "Dressing the Soldier" book
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Hi,
...may be there is something that could be of interest to you :
http://www.dressid.eu/

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trappings and decoration of Roman military clothing Alaa Barraneia 2 1,435 12-30-2016, 08:03 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Military Units Clothing and armour Clearchus_of_Sparta 5 2,153 04-12-2009, 09:39 PM
Last Post: Graham Sumner
  Roman Military Clothing (2) Conal 8 2,623 06-08-2006, 01:35 PM
Last Post: Conal