Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Galvanized Steel
Avete!<br>
<br>
Does anyone know if it's actaully feasable to 'clean' galvanized sheet steel down to bare mild steel? I would think it's theoretically possible, but not if it's actually practical. I need some thin sheet steel, but can't find anything thinner than 24 gauge- except for galvanized roofing metal.<br>
<br>
Any help would be appreciated.<br>
<br>
Valete<br>
<br>
Matt <p></p><i></i>
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
SALVE<br>
<br>
A method to take off the galvanized is to put the steel some hours in vinegar. We make that with wire to make the lorica hamata and works fine.<br>
<br>
Another possibility is to hot the metal with a propane torch to red colour. Then let the metal get cold slowly. It softens the metal too.<br>
<br>
I hope that helps you.<br>
<br>
VALE <p></p><i></i>
I forgot to say that the second procediment can make some smoke. It can be dangerous, so make it in a well ventiled place or outdoors.<br>
<br>
Sorry <p></p><i></i>
Thanks very much Avitanvs, I had thought of simply using a wire wheel and brushing off the coating in the first place, and knowing a dilute acid like vinegar makes the process easier is very helpful. And thanks for the warning about heating.<br>
<br>
Matt <p></p><i></i>
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!