Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sleepwear
Ave Civitas,

I have found no information about what the people of Rome (the empire) wore to bed.

I would imagine it would be influenced by climate, elevation and season, but other than taking wild guesses I have no idea.

Any ideas, hidden tomes of ancient pajama wearing people?

Again, thanks for your help.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
Probably nothing? AFAIK most people didn't even wear underwear back then.
I agree with Evan. I sleep naked; and in fact, can't sleep at all when wearing jammies or any type of clothing. Wink

Evidently, the Northern Jammie Culture (living just above the Hyperborians) wore heavy wool and seal-skin undergarments to bed... but the entire Culture died-out due to lack of sleep. 8-)
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
The Romans did have underwear, but I don't think it was often used outside of areas where it was needed (Britain, during Winter, etc)
Didn't see this covered in a RAT post, but found an interesting write-up on Reddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/co...t_kind_of/

Before screaming in horror at a Reddit post on an historical issue, note that there is extensive quoting of Carcopino's "Daily Life in Ancient Rome." :-)

On a hot summer night, it makes perfect sense to go without clothing while praying to your various household gods for a breeze. Maybe a sublicgaculum wrapped around Romulus and Remus, as it were. In the winter, it makes sense to have a tunic on and your cloak over the other bed coverings.
Steve in WA

Pone hic aliqua ingeniosum.