Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Costume Authenticity of A.D. the Bible Continues
Now that A.D. the Bible Continues is over, do you have anything to say about the costume authenticity of the series?
James Ajiduah
One word sums it all up for the Roman soldiers at least: Terrible.
Regards, Jason
I'd never heard of this one, but a quick look on Google brings up the goods.

The Romans are pretty dismally standard:
[Image: AD-The-Bible-Continues-The-First-Martyr-...e-5-20.jpg]

I think those horrible leather-belt segmentata might be from Gibson's Passion film. The cuirasses on the left and right set a new standard in awfulness, although oddly the helmets are halfway to okay (if about a hundred years too early!). At least the musculata looks reasonable, although the officer insists on wearing a grubby cravat, Gladiator-style, and has an old bath towel instead of a cloak. Plus everyone is wearing those giant leather bracers, of course.

As for the civilians:
[Image: may24_road_to_Damacus.jpg]

Costuming in 1st-century Judea has not moved on much since Life of Brian. Ancient Jews still dress basically like 19th century Bedouin or Touregs, although nowadays there a bit of Berber-style textile detailing thrown in, to add exoticism.

These two, meanwhile, seem to be dressed as 16th century Venetian nobility, or something.

But I think I'd like the look of this show a lot more if this guy (playing Peter, as far as I can tell) was playing Jesus instead. Now that might be a bit radical... Wink

What should the inhabitants of AD33 Jerusalem be wearing? Probably much the same as everyone else around then - lots of plain wool or linen sleeveless tunics, basically, some with clavi, some with short sleeves. Some cloaks too. They'd look very much like Greeks, or Romans...

Although a graffito from Hebron dating to the second Jewish revolt (AD132) shows a fighter in a padded high-necked coat, clean shaven, and wearing a 'mohawk' hairstyle... :unsure:
Nathan Ross
Indeed the central legionary costume seems to be from 'The Passion'. The central helmet however could even date from the 1960's as it has similarities to the helmets in 'Spartacus' 1960 and 'Cleopatra' 1963, what I would call movie auxiliary type A.

The two lorica segmentata may also date from the 60's as they look like some of those used in 'Constantine and the Cross' or 'Costantino il Grande', 1963.

At least the tunics are red so that should please everyone :whistle: :wink:

If you think these are bad you should see those in the new Ben-Hur! The soldiers have ammo pouches and marching back packs!!! Confusedhock:

However if you like movie Roman costumes you should follow my series in Ancient Warfare magazine, The next article is on 'Quo Vadis', 1951.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
AAArrgggggh....... Modern Buckles :oops:
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Quote:you should see those in the new Ben-Hur! The soldiers have ammo pouches and marching back packs!!!

So they do!

What are they supposed to keep in those little pouches, do you think? And how did they all get so muddy? :razz:
Nathan Ross
Quote:
Graham Sumner post=369036 Wrote:you should see those in the new Ben-Hur! The soldiers have ammo pouches and marching back packs!!!

So they do!

What are they supposed to keep in those little pouches, do you think? And how did they all get so muddy? :razz:

Digging Trenches or lying in the mud cutting Barbed wire I would think..... they rather remind me of WW1 Italian Arditi, the pouches are for the ammo clips :grin:
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
I really think they should have kept the old costumes.
[attachment=12613]herodthegreat.jpg[/attachment]
This series also has good photos.
[attachment=12614]easter-pictures-soldiers-gamble-1127801-wallpaper.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

James Ajiduah
Why is it that ancient Jews are so often shown dressed as Arabs? A few examples:

Greatest Story Ever Told

Last Temptation of Christ

Masada

And whatever this is:

[Image: the_bible_61118.jpg]

The costumes in the 'Bible Continues' thing seem to follow the same general pattern. Headscarves and turbans, long flowing robes, something like a djellaba, the occasional burnous...

Could it be because early film-makers and illustrators looked at pictures of Jews living in 19th century Palestine, influenced by centuries of Arab and Ottoman rule, and thought that this was 'traditional' Jewish costume?
Nathan Ross
I think the Zealots might have looked like this.
[attachment=12627]sicarii.jpg[/attachment]

This is a movie's interpretation of what Jesus wore.
[attachment=12628]jesus.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

James Ajiduah
How's the old song go? "It's Hollywood......"

Publius Quinctius Petrus Augustinus
(aka Pierre Kleff)
Petrus Augustinus
Quote:I think the Zealots might have looked like this.
A lot of zealots apparently carried the sica. It was worn concealed up under the armpit and drawn through the armhole of the tunic. It was the switchblade of the ancient world.
[Image: 020346830-big.jpg]
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Handwritten Bible incl. depiction of Last Supper pavka 0 727 02-25-2012, 03:10 PM
Last Post: pavka