Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hollywood Romans -- Spartacus & Dalton Trumbo
There is anew film, due out this fall, about Dalton Trumbo, the Black List, and the writing of Spartacus.

This trailer was first posted on the RAT Face Book page, but proved to be a little too political and consequently a little too hot for that venue.

So I am reposting it here NOT to stir up trouble, but rather to inform members of the Forum about this new film and its link to the Hollywood Romans.

https://video-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo...e=55D13631

:wink:
Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
link not working.
"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." ~Cicero

D'oh!

Let's try that again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0dZ_2ICpJE

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Looks Excellent... made me think of Terry Thomas though so it will be hard not to expect a comedy....

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0856103/
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
This sounds to be an interesting film. I remember the early 1950s. I was a child, but I remember many of the hearings being broadcast on TV live, although I had little interest in watching. Playing cowboys and Indians outside made preeminently more sense to me then...and perhaps still, albeit now Romans and barbarians. In my life I have been a staunch anti-statist. Thus, despite firmly believing that communism is a vacuous and failed theory, it was at that point in history aggressively seeking to expand from its Russian and Chinese bases. Still, suppressing free speech was not then nor is it now the way to defeat dangerous political foes.

Publius Quinctius Petrus Augustinus
(aka Pierre Kleff)
Petrus Augustinus
Fifties American epic films often reflected concerns of the era.

The Romans were a metaphor for these concerns. That is why the emperors are frequently British, fear of British Imperialism. The Praetorians are dressed in black and give fascist salutes, fear of Fascism. The Romans from a non Christian empire often ask for lists of names of the disloyal, fear of Communism.

The American founding fathers also saw themselves as new Roman Republicans. There was also the concern then of what had happened to the Roman Republic and the decline of the Roman Empire.

Ironically it is Rome, the recreation of the glory and spectacle that is used to market the films. This took the form of the tie in Roman toys and games, soldiers helmets and chariots as well as furniture or clothing, "look like a Centurion" or "a Gladiator", "live like a Senator" etc...

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Apart from the Spartacus link, and the 'kill free speech' agenda, I'm also drawn to the film because of Bryan Cranston. What a legend he is - Breaking Bad rules!
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hollywood Romans -- New Feature Film about... AMELIANVS 46 8,353 08-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Hollywood Romans - New Feature Film About Pilate Narukami 16 3,845 01-10-2013, 08:09 PM
Last Post: Alexand96
  Hollywood Romans -- New Feature Film on Pompeii Narukami 20 3,426 11-16-2012, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Appeaceboophy