Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Continuing Mis-Identification of the Altai Culture
I think that ethnic titles overlap and have varying scope (consider human, Western, Germanophone, Austrian, Tiroler, Haller, ... or an ex-room-mate of mine born in Austria to parents from India and raised in Switzerland) and that we need something to call the nomadic peoples of the Eurasian steppes in the middle of the first millennium BCE, just like we need more specific terms like "Royal Scythians" and "Altai culture" and "Tuekta barrow 5." Since I am a nominalist, I don't care what that something is, but Scythian is traditional.

Herodotus' account of the Massegetae living opposite the Issedones does support your idea that Herodotus' Issedones lived somewhere in the neighbourhood of the Altai. I can't speak to the Gryphons <- Triceratops thing, other than that it provides the MacGuffin for a fun historical novel.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Continuing Mis-Identification of the Altai Culture - by Sean Manning - 01-12-2016, 06:27 PM