Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ryse: Son of Rome
JMJ -

Has anyone played the game Ryse: Son of Rome?  I purchased it on Steam for $20.  The graphics are really nice: the locations look good and the soldiers look good.  Your primary weapon is your gladius and you block with your scutum (though it seems to be made of metal at times?).  Pila are your ranged weapon along with the occasional scorpion.  You can call others to you at times and form a testudo, though you can't walk in that formation.

The issue I had was the storyline.  Although it was interesting and compelling, it was off historically.  Like, nothing was right.  Nero is emperor and he, along with his two sons are messing up Rome with their corruption.  Celts from Britannia attack Rome so you take the fight to them.  Boudicca and her father are behind the attack so you capture them.  Long story short, Rome is overrun with Celts, complete with Boudicca riding into Rome on an elephant. 

Good times.

I did enjoy it, though it was a short game.

YBIC
Mike
YBIC
Mike S.
I enjoyed playing the Arena with my nephew. At least they're attempting to do something with the Romans in Video Games. That time period has so much potential in video games.
"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." ~Cicero

Game graphics and game play are good, but historically the game is ridiculous. Also Roman Segmentata armor is fanciful.

Cheers
it was a good game, maybe they should make a second one.
maybe they should have used a Roman name for a 'son of Rome'?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)