Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CAESAR'S WARS
Hey guys, I just started a new project, check it out here:  CAESAR'S WARS

I would appreciate any input, thoughts, etc. on this project.  

Enjoy!

[Image: Alesia2.jpg]
Now, THIS looks interesting. Can't wait for the release!
HONOR VICTORIAQVE TECVM

John F.
I found this site useful when I had questions about the marching. How did they do it? This site really is very good in explaining that. Falling out of camp to do battle...why ruin it for you. There is a science to it. :grin:

http://www.romanarmy.info/site_map.html

There are some other short histories (public domain)-The African War and Spanish War detailing Caesars experiences in Africa and Hispania during the Civil War that definitely will give an idea of the combat in the Civil War that followed after his conquest of Gaul. They weren't written by Caesar but by somebody who had experiences in those campaigns. As old as they are-there are some moments in these short accounts that give you pause to the utter ruthlessness of the combatants.

Attached Files
.pdf   SpanishWar.pdf (Size: 220.18 KB / Downloads: 3)
.pdf   TheAfricanWar.pdf (Size: 386.73 KB / Downloads: 2)
-Rod Dickson
Quote:I found this site useful when I had questions about the marching. How did they do it? This site really is very good in explaining that. Falling out of camp to do battle...why ruin it for you. There is a science to it. :grin:

http://www.romanarmy.info/site_map.html

Thanks, yes I have read and re-read that site.,. I will eventually have some conclusions of my own that may or may not jive with Gary Brueggeman's work.

Quote:There are some other short histories (public domain)-The African War and Spanish War detailing Caesars experiences in Africa and Hispania during the Civil War that definitely will give an idea of the combat in the Civil War that followed after his conquest of Gaul. They weren't written by Caesar but by somebody who had experiences in those campaigns. As old as they are-there are some moments in these short accounts that give you pause to the utter ruthlessness of the combatants.

Yes of course, I have those as well, eventually I'd like this work to get through those as well.

I appreciate the comment!
I posted the first writing sample last night.. please take a look at it if you get a chance. I would be very interested in any comments, critiques, corrections, or abuse you might have.

I have a lot of respect for the knowledge of the experts on this board, so am particularly interested in your thoughts. If you do wish to leave a comment, please leave it on the blog so they are all in one place and easy to keep track of and take action on (if required).

~PROLOGUE~
Congrats it seems you are really talented

I read earlier but I didn't wanted to comment there, please review the way the romans and gauls are using their scuta, I don't think that any of the two parties had any shield that was having any strap during the battle. he starp was probably used only for carrying the shield.

"Our left hand held the scutum[4] in a firm but loose grip, angled with bottom edge forward, its strap over the left shoulder taking most of the weight and providing a fulcrum to assist in maneuvering it aggressively "

please others knowledgeable correct me if I am wrong
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
Thank you. I don't think there is any evidence either way really is there? From the one example of a Republican Scutum it does have several rings for supporting straps.. I cannot imagine that they would only be used when marching, it seems obvious that the weight must be taken up by a strap during action as well, that is a lot of weight on one arm.

I could indeed be mistaken and if any evidence exists that straps were not used I would love to see it.

Thanks for the kind words.
Bil
I think that a strap would definitely hinder the use of a scutum as offensive weapon (described by Polybius I think, need to check my notes), if long to enable movement will not support anymore, if short will not be able to wield it. I think that from the descriptions we have scuta were used as offensive weapon. I am not sure if there is proof or not but it seems that (almost) everybody who discussed this matter in RAT agrees that it was only carried using straps.
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
Well, I read this thread and am still not convinced... note in my story that the narrator (Roman) has his strap over his left shoulder to take the weight, I picture that strap being able to slide off the shoulder if the scutum needs to be maneuvered farther from the body than normal... this would still allow the flexibility required but also provide support that after hours of marching and fighting would be necessary to stave off muscle fatigue as long as possible.

This is all hypothetical at this stage, and I bet in reality it was an individual decision. They did train with double weight equipment so the real scutum would seem light in comparison, however even that lighter weight would be a drain on the body's resources over time. That is why I made the decision I did regarding scutum straps... I am open to changing my mind if I hear a good enough argument however.
You might find this thread, Sword Carrying and the Scutum Strap, interesting.
Thanks Bryan.. that thread got off track in a hurry it seems.. have you done any further experiments?
I just posted on the Battle of the Arar that I would appreciate any additional info on if anybody has it.
I ended up building a republican style scutum, about 30" x 50", oval shaped, used a 55 gallon drum for the curve. I attached a rudimentary sling to it, nailed to the inboard side, a few inches to the sides and slightly above the hand grip. 

Due to that shields height, I found that having the sling looped over the head on the right shoulder, you'd need to have the sling tightened so the top of the scutum naturally rests inside the left armpit. That limits movement, by exerting just a little bit of pressure, so the scutum isn't constantly banging against your leg while being short enough so the bottom of the shield isn't dragging on the ground. Also, its not rubbing much, so no blisters. But in rough terrain, where you might have to cross obstacles requiring you to lift up the shield or else constant bumps, it might be best to shorten it more so, to throw more on your back left shoulder. But using that method it bumps often against the back of the left leg and is kind of annoying.

Either way, with the shield slung in whatever manner to keep it off the ground, you will not have enough slack to move the scutum aggressively. You can still use it defensively, to block, just no parrying, no punching with it, or what have you. So I don't think it would remain slung in close combat, too much of an unnecessary hindrance.

But there's a quick and easy fix. Simply toss off the sling loop and you're free. You can even do this with a sword in hand, I tried it. Take the sword, wedge it point backwards in your left armpit, careful not to fillet yourself, use right hand to lift sling loop off right shoulder, over head and helmet, let go of it, grab sword, engage enemy. Only issue at all with this is using a tall, stiff crest on the helmet, or a helmet with a large neck guard, which can make it a little difficult, not impossible, to chuck off the sling loop. Just a matter of contorting the helmet while looking down at ground.

Overall, I definitely believe that slings were used with infantry and cavalry shields, including the aspis/clipeus (which we know had a slinging system), scutum (some of which had rings inside for slings), flat thureos (commonly carried by cavalry, which often needed two free hands), and circular parma (cavalry and often carried by the cornicen and signifer, both of whom often needed two hands). 

It's too easy not to use a sling, and since we know they did use slings for some shields I don't understand why more reenactors don't embrace it. I guess since Trajan's Column doesn't have it, nobody replicates it. But I believe the sling is definitely necessary for marching long distances (avoid fatigue of the left hand's grip), as well as non-marching duties, to free the left arm and hand, like when climbing ladders during an escalade, or when needing to carry something requiring two hands, like dragging a wounded buddy away.
Thanks Bryan, that was helpful.
To anybody interested, I have updated the Prologue with some changes to reflect the information in this thread and a few other minor edits.