Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Martres de Veyre Calceus
Finished a pair of calcei after the late 1800s find from the so-called Tomb D of the Martres De Veyre burials, dated to the late 2nd century AD. The shoes are of a type also found in several variations in Welzheim, although a bit plainer.

For more information and pictures see http://sutor.jimdo.com/2nd-century-ad/ma...e-calceus/ please
Smile Martin again kudos
you are really talented
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
(01-20-2016, 08:25 PM)Martin Moser Wrote: Finished a pair of calcei after the late 1800s find from the so-called Tomb D of the Martres De Veyre burials, dated to the late 2nd century AD. The shoes are of a type also found in several variations in Welzheim, although a bit plainer.

For more information and pictures see http://sutor.jimdo.com/2nd-century-ad/ma...e-calceus/ please

Hi Martin, Very nice, unfortunatly I think the toe should be different, the "Toe Cap" should (I think) Not be stitched down the front only a short section holding it in place at the top, I also believe the toe seam should be doubled or folded over forming a fine double bead down the toe to the toe cap (a feature also seen in some other shoes notably from the 3rd century(Zwammerdam).. which may suggest this is later rather then earlier...

Heres a pic: 

From: http://users.stlcc.edu/mfuller/ClermontM...tiles.html

I hav'nt made this one myself though I have made several of the others, iit appears to be the only one with these features...
The spread of this type is generally European, France, Germany, Holland and Britain, with Britain probably having the most find sites (but that may be selective survival/publishing) and appears to have been worn by Men and Women....
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Hi Ivor,

thanks for your observations! I know the pics, but succeeded in not picking up the line of stitch holes somehow :-P You may well be right here!
Not sure I completely get what you mean re. the seam closing the upper?
I have a Zwammerdam Ramshaw done this way, here's a pic of the toe seam basically the edges are folded over with the cut edge inside the shoe, the stitching goes though four thicknesses of upper forming a double bead, the actual seam is down the center:

Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Ah, ok, the pic makes it all clear of course :-) Thanks for that, certainly a possibility.