Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Athens Kopis
One of the reasons I own a handful of antiquities is because I know that I can bring back at least a little bit of each of their history, and that through sharing them with people and forums like you, and my University Museum, I can spread more information about them than if they were stuck in somebody's art collection, or solely in the cupboards of a museum because they aren't good enough for display. This kopis fragment was described as of an Iberian Falcata before I won the lot, and as we know of only 3 other examples, I didn't much like the possibility that it would remain under that attribution only to be seen by and handed down to a handful of people.

The kopis arrived yesterday. Despite the very cold welcome to this forum, I'm obviously still up for sharing anything anyone would like to know; pictures, videos, measurements, etc.

I also recently recovered a fragment of a South Italian (more probably a Samnite) bronze cuirass, and a Samnite belt, if anyone is interested. They were sold as a lot titled "Eight Ancient Bronze Fragments" from the estate of John Wolfe St. Alban, who I think is a great example of how the private market of antiquities can be cancerous (he kept no documentation, hence the name of the lot). The cuirass fragments are small (the edge of the plate, roughly 2 inches across) but include lots of details about their construction, such as the hinges, the loops for tying, the rare wave decoration sometimes seen, and how different layers/the edge of the plate was reinforced. The belt fragments include a part on either end of the belt, including where the hooks hooked into, with different tightness adjustments, where the leather backing was tied onto, where the hooks were pinned onto and the remaining iron rivets, and an unusual hinged loop that would've sat right between the two hooks, which I've never seen before. I don't know its purpose, and I've never seen another example with something similar; it's going to the University Museum soon. 

To add to the discussion, I think it's true that so long as there are buyers interested, there will be some illegal activity promoted at some level. That's why I think it's the buyer's responsibility to research its provenance and ensure it abides by the 1970 UNESCO agreement, so that nothing new can enter the market. 
I also think items should be steadily siphoned out of the private market and into museum and the hands of academics. JoshoB's solution is [removed by moderator]just wrong; How could you a) possibly think that the destruction of antiquities is the right solution to keep looters from destroying the historical context of antiquities, and b) think that putting them in the hands of museums and academics wouldn't take them out of circulation? It's shocking to me that a professional archaeologist would support that, and think that not only would that permanently stop the influx of antiquities into the market (destroying items does not, in fact, destroy buyers, their interest, or their means of sale), but also think that museum professionals and academics would somehow contribute to the circulation of items in the private market.
(03-12-2016, 11:05 PM)colinroberts Wrote: I also think items should be steadily siphoned out of the private market and into museum and the hands of academics. JoshoB's solution is insanity and just wrong; How could you a) possibly think that the destruction of antiquities is the right solution to keep looters from destroying the historical context of antiquities, and b) think that putting them in the hands of museums and academics wouldn't take them out of circulation? It's shocking to me that a professional archaeologist would support that, and think that not only would that permanently stop the influx of antiquities into the market (destroying items does not, in fact, destroy buyers, their interest, or their means of sale), but also think that museum professionals and academics would somehow contribute to the circulation of items in the private market.

Since you're a collector, I wouldn't expect you to understand. It's very simple: objects that haven't been carefully excavated are of limited value. Anything on the market is unlikely to have been excavated along proper channels (otherwise, it would be in a museum or a depot: professional archaeologist who value their work and who have adhere to a semblance of ethical conduct don't get to sell their stuff on the open market). Anyone who says that it's fine to use fruits from the poisonous tree don't deserve access to these objects anyway. And really, no one should own this stuff privately. It's cultural heritage, not private property. 

But it's clear that most people here don't understand these simple points and prefer to argue instead that I'm insane. Despite the fact that it's obvious that illegal objects will never be destroyed, since most people reason the same way you and many others do (oh, my precious! it's must be preserved!). If you're fine with contributing to the destruction of knowledge I guess that's okay. But kindly refrain from claiming that I'm some sort of madman, when in fact it's you and people like you who are part of the problem in the first place. 

I'm done with this topic.
(03-13-2016, 10:07 AM)JoshoB Wrote: Despite the fact that it's obvious that illegal objects will never be destroyed, since most people reason the same way you and many others do (oh, my precious! it's must be preserved!). If you're fine with contributing to the destruction of knowledge I guess that's okay.

I think all here are against trading in looted objects, but I don't think we share the opinion that they become without value when they are looted. Would that not depend on the nature of the object and where it came from? I mean, supposed it was looted from the palmyra museum.. But I think you are solely referring to object that are looted from the soil and whose context is lost. Even then I think that the object is not useless.
If only because it won't help solving the problem. The incentives to the looters will always be a cause for looting. The volume of looted objects that are intercepted is such a small part of the problem that it won't be of any influence on the looting itself.

Destroying intercepted illegal elephant tusks did not stop the slaughter by the poachers.
Destroying intercepted illegal drugs did not stop illegal drugs trafficking.
Destroying intercepted looted archaeological artifacts won't stop the looting.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
(03-15-2016, 12:40 PM)Robert Vermaat Wrote: Destroying intercepted illegal elephant tusks did not stop the slaughter by the poachers.
Destroying intercepted illegal drugs did not stop illegal drugs trafficking.
Destroying intercepted looted archaeological artifacts won't stop the looting.

While the effectiveness of destroying contraband is a matter of discussion, I think you can see the obvious parallel here. 

When ivory is confiscated, no one comes up and says, "Hey, let's make something nice out of this anyway, so at least the elephants didn't die for nothing." No one says that because it would hypocritical, not to say morally wrong. So why all the fuss over looted antiquities? Destroy them in the same way we destroy confiscated ivory and narcotics. You either make a moral choice in the matter or you don't. If you end up using looted antiquities, for whatever purpose (to "rescue" them for study or otherwise), it's still wrong. That's why I referred to them as fruits from the poisonous tree. 

Objects looted from a museum are, of course, something different entirely. I was indeed referring to objects removed from the ground through illegal excavation. Likewise, I think it's nonsensical, at this stage, to condemn objects that were looted generations ago (and now are part of the collection of many a modern Western museum; cf. the debate surrounding the Elgin Marbles etc.), especially since these by now have acquired a life of their own and serve as a potent historical warning about the dangers of colonialism, appropriation of someone else's past, and so forth. But objects that are taken from the ground, right now or in the recent past, should not be in the hands of anyone reputable, and if they end up confiscated, they should, in my opinion, be destroyed just like elephant tusks, rhino horn, or virtually any other contraband. 

I'm starting to sound like Cato the Elder.
(03-15-2016, 04:49 PM)JoshoB Wrote: When ivory is confiscated, no one comes up and says, "Hey, let's make something nice out of this anyway, so at least the elephants didn't die for nothing." No one says that because it would hypocritical, not to say morally wrong.

I'm starting to sound like Cato the Elder.

Well actually, and this is why I included it in the example, there has been a decade-long debate going on about the use of conficated Ivory. Back in 1986 already Kenya began burning the stash in a big heap in front of journalists. And despite the lack of funds for the rangers who are undermotorized and underarmed, the burning pyre in front of journalists seems to be preferable to the authorities in the countries involved.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destruction_of_ivory
The destruction of the loot notwithstanding, killing the animals has by no means ceased.

There are worse things than sounding like Cato the Elder. Wink
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Sounding like Dracon the Athenian, perhaps?
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!