Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mistery kopis
i'm looking for information abuot this kopis, i have attached also what appear a replica of this blade, by Mark Morrow

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(01-27-2016, 02:04 PM)Velites77 Wrote: i'm looking for information abuot this kopis, i have attached also what appear a replica of this blade, by Mark Morrow

Hello
This kopis comes from a grave near Thessaloniki, in Macedonia, Greece. Probably from Sindos, if I remember correctly. Dates to the late 6th century bc.
It is a type that was popular at that time, with a blade about 40 cm long. While they have the treputation of being "heavy", they were actually similar weight with the leaf shaped swords, and could weigh even less.

The blade by Mark Morrow looks very nice, although it could still use some minor improvements, to completely match the ancient examples.

Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Giannis , thank very much, do you have some measuremets of it? it is ian a museum or private collection?
I messed this up. I posted its measurements in the other thread about the Athens Kopis. It is in Thessaloniki museum, found in Sindos, just West of Thessaloniki.
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
thank you very much! lovely kopis indeed, doesen't matter for the Athens kopis i guess i can figure out the shape for the photos i have
Mark is basing his kopis shape from the example seen in one of the wonderful Latsis Foundation publications.

It is this one:

[Image: 24717639716_527483f8d3_o.jpg]
do you have some measuremts of it?
I'll check, but you can also use the grip size and come up with a decent guess as to length.