Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colmonell Roman Camp
Hi

Does anyone have any information about this camp on the banks of the River Stinchar several miles inland from Ballantrae. There is also a small camp high up on the hill between Colmonell and Ballantrae.

Thanks

PS Could ask the #JAFRA crew when any of their characters are going there ?
(02-25-2017, 03:31 PM)Richard Townsend-Rose Wrote: camp on the banks of the River Stinchar several miles inland from Ballantrae. There is also a small camp high up on the hill between Colmonell and Ballantrae.

Have you tried to find it on Canmore? I had a quick look, but I can't see anything Roman around Colmonell. You probably have better coordinates though!

(02-25-2017, 03:31 PM)Richard Townsend-Rose Wrote: Could ask the #JAFRA crew when any of their characters are going there ?

Unless Anthony Riches heads back that way, I think your best bet might be Adrian Goldsworthy, at some future point perhaps!
Nathan Ross
Thanks

Village: Colmonell, Girvan Post Code: KA26 0SA. Google Coords: 55.132309, -4.913924.

The earth walls are clearly visible and it is marked on OS maps.

Anyway - for troops wanting a sea supply on their way to build the Antonine wall it would have been ace ...

Thanks.
(03-01-2017, 02:38 PM)Richard Townsend-Rose Wrote: Thanks

Village: Colmonell, Girvan Post Code: KA26 0SA. Google Coords: 55.132309, -4.913924.

Anyway - for troops wanting a sea supply on their way to build the Antonine wall it would have been ace ...

Thanks.

It's not listed in Rebecca Jones' volume*, the nearest being Girvan Mains E & W, some 13.6km to the north. If it's a visible earthwork, then it's probably been evaluated and dismissed as not Roman.

Mike Bishop

*Rebecca H. Jones (2011), Roman Camps in Scotland, Edinburgh
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
(03-01-2017, 02:38 PM)Richard Townsend-Rose Wrote: Google Coords: 55.132309, -4.913924.

Is this where you mean? Google Map

There's nothing there on Canmore - although I did think you might mean the site downriver a bit at Tongue, where there is some sort of enclosure listed, although they don't appear to think it's Roman!

What else have you been able to find out about it?
Nathan Ross
Hi

The place is 100% correct.

Unfortunately the OS map [hard copy] is down in Colmonell and I am in Glasgow.

The hill called Knockdolian has a smaller peak, and in the saddle between the main hill is apparently another smaller camp at: 55.124329, -4.956735. This seems to be called Duniewick Fort [from the on line version of OS Maps which doesn't show the Colmonell Fort]. I have been going there for several years and the locals are quite adamant that there is a roman marching camp there. The farmer who rents the land from the church was NOT allowed to put in land drains because of it.

The defensive ditch and wall mound are several feet from top to toe.

Maybe it is all local lore gone mad ????

But there are several castles around so it has been a defensive area for millennia.

Richard