Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newstead Lorica Girth Plate Overlap - Left or Right?
I would like a clarification as to the proper method to construct the girth plates for the Newstead.<br>
<br>
The drawing on the Newstead Lorica by Bishop " implies" that the left side plates overlap the right side plates as the drawing is laid out with a "right side " orientation to the breast/collar/back and shoulder plates. I assume that the girth plates are for the same side as the those listed above. The girth plates show the location for the "cast tie loops". If this a true representation then the side with the "brass cover plates" must be on the left side. Therefore the girth plate overlap is left over right.<br>
<br>
In addition it would appear that the right side breast/back plates overlap the left side breast/back plates as the brass coverplates are indicated on the "right side" per the drawing by Bishop.<br>
<br>
It is interesting that the breast/back plates overlap "right over left", but the girth plates overlap "left over right"<br>
<br>
The photos from the Legion VI site of a completed Newstead Lorica show an overlap of right over left for the girth plates or opposite to the implied layout from the drawing by Bishop.<br>
<br>
Is there a correct overlap to be used?<br>
<br>
Does it matter?<br>
<br>
Are both methods of overlap found in the artifacts?<br>
<br>
Thanks in advance for your attention to this matter! <p></p><i></i>
Ave,<br>
The two prototype Newsteads in Leg VI were built by Arik Greenberg, and he was in contact with M. Bishop for both the Zugmantel and the Stillfried variants. I think that in the course of the construction, certain things were discovered to work on paper, but not in real life. All our Newsteads overlap from the right on front and back, girth hoops and upper plates. Interlacing the plates and hoops would not be possible if the upper and lowers were reversed. It is already a tight fit getting the upper plates and the top girth hoops properly together. I hope this helps some...<br>
Vale, Florentius <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Amount of overlap on segmentata shoulder lames kazeryu 29 6,079 08-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Last Post: kazeryu
  Suitability of the Newstead Lorica Segmentata? Virilis 8 3,894 03-21-2011, 11:11 PM
Last Post: Evgeny
  Newstead Lorica Segmentata Adrian Petersson 12 4,122 12-20-2009, 08:50 AM
Last Post: Adrian Petersson