Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trailer for new Ben-Hur is up
"We'll never see an "historical" Roman production. This style of film costs big bucks".

I am always optimistic that one day we will. 'Centurion' was not made with big bucks and did have some re-enactors on board to advise, The kit was not totally inaccurate and with a few minor tweaks to sets, costumes and script would probably have satisfied all but the die hard Roman nerd.

In contrast I am always put off by Chinese historical epics because their warriors are always leaping about in the air, which to me is almost as bad as any Indian film were the characters break out into song. Thankfully for the most part we have been spared that with serious Roman epics. (I do like Red Cliff)

Even from a few second trailer some interesting points have nevertheless emerged. In this film Ben-Hur and Massala are brothers. More prominence is given to Ilderim. Ben-Hur is not stranded on a raft with Quintus Arrius, so presumably Morgan Freeman's character takes on the father mentor role. There are battles in the desert and the snow. The film will probably have a much shorter running time than the earlier versions so as a result will be more action based rather than spiritual.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.

Messages In This Thread
Trailer for new Ben-Hur is up - by john m roberts - 03-16-2016, 07:57 PM
RE: Trailer for new Ben-Hur is up - by Alanus - 03-16-2016, 10:12 PM
RE: Trailer for new Ben-Hur is up - by Dan Howard - 08-22-2016, 02:14 AM
RE: Trailer for new Ben-Hur is up - by Alanus - 03-18-2016, 07:57 PM
RE: Trailer for new Ben-Hur is up - by Graham Sumner - 03-18-2016, 09:30 PM
RE: Trailer for new Ben-Hur is up - by Marcus F. - 07-07-2016, 07:56 AM
RE: Trailer for new Ben-Hur is up - by Marcus F. - 08-21-2016, 07:51 PM