Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reputation rating.
(09-21-2021, 07:31 AM)Praefectusclassis Wrote: Positive ratings only is an option. If people enjoy that, I could certainly enable that option.

Positive ratings only just feeds the narcissists and turns this place into another Amazon or Facebook. While there's the possibility of "negative" and "neutral" being abused, it should remain, as some need to know their behavior is rude, even though they haven't violated the forum rules. I know of one forum that's positive only and it just encourages bad behavior: those with greater number of likes can act like jerks towards those with less likes and if you call them out and there's a disagreement, the mod first checks the number of likes you've accrued and acts based on it.
aka T*O*N*G*A*R
(10-09-2021, 11:53 PM)Condottiero Magno Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 07:31 AM)Praefectusclassis Wrote: Positive ratings only is an option. If people enjoy that, I could certainly enable that option.

as some need to know their behavior is rude

If you really want to make that known to another person, use the PM function. An anonymous -1 is not going to do the trick there, and as it turns out it will only become a 'well look at my power to punish you' function.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
A positive rating has value, I think.  We all would like to know if the opinions we express meet with the approval of others and, equally, it is nice to be able to express our approval without having to lodge a post saying simply, 'Thank you'.  Negative ratings are open to abuse in that they can be given against someone who simply disagrees with another member or challenges their opinions.  If someone is rude, they can be reported to the moderators.  Neutral ratings are just that, neutral, and seem to have no value whatsoever.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)

(10-10-2021, 09:57 AM)Robert Vermaat Wrote:
(10-09-2021, 11:53 PM)Condottiero Magno Wrote:

as some need to know their behavior is rude

If you really want to make that known to another person, use the PM function. An anonymous -1 is not going to do the trick there, and as it turns out it will only become a 'well look at my power to punish you' function.

PMs are an escalation, while a plus, minus or neutral is one and done. It's not anonymous, as the username shows up next to the plus, minus and neutral rating and in the case of the negative, the poster has to fill in the reason box.

(10-10-2021, 11:41 AM)Renatus Wrote: A positive rating has value, I think.  We all would like to know if the opinions we express meet with the approval of others and, equally, it is nice to be able to express our approval without having to lodge a post saying simply, 'Thank you'.  Negative ratings are open to abuse in that they can be given against someone who simply disagrees with another member or challenges their opinions.  If someone is rude, they can be reported to the moderators.  Neutral ratings are just that, neutral, and seem to have no value whatsoever.

Positive ratings are also open to abuse, like devolving into cliquishness. Mods are hardly impartial and you shouldn't be going to them for every slight experienced, so selecting negative or neutral is enough.
aka T*O*N*G*A*R
Actually it's one of the rules here Tongar - if you have a conflict, GO TO THE MODS. The fact that you think that we are not impartial is worrying enough for me! However you feel about that, this is how RAT works - it's the mods' job to work out the conflicts - not yours by deducting points. If anything you made a very strong case for us NOT to bring back the ratings system.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
(10-11-2021, 07:12 PM)Robert Vermaat Wrote: Actually it's one of the rules here Tongar - if you have a conflict, GO TO THE MODS. The fact that you think that we are not impartial is worrying enough for me! However you feel about that, this is how RAT works - it's the mods' job to work out the conflicts - not yours by deducting points. If anything you made a very strong case for us NOT to bring back the ratings system.

It's your call...

I wasn't happy with it being implemented in the beginning, as it was more a cliquish means of inflating some posters' egos, but went along with it, due to it being self-regulating grading system.

How about instead of + or - , introduce the word "thank-you" or a "like" with a thumbs up icon, maybe with smiles added to it: emotional responses like laughter? I could get behind this instead of ratings.
aka T*O*N*G*A*R
(10-12-2021, 03:33 AM)Condottiero Magno Wrote: How about instead of + or - , introduce the word "thank-you" or a "like" with a thumbs up icon, maybe with smiles added to it: emotional responses like laughter? I could get behind this instead of ratings.

Yes I could go for that it would get my vote...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
All set!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  About the reputation system... Condottiero Magno 17 13,204 10-23-2016, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis