Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
kalkriese cingulum
One of the kalkriese finds are rectangular 'studs' for the cingulum apron. Most of the reenactment people seem to use round ones.<br>
Does anybody have any other evidence e.g. gravestones for a belt of this type , or did anybody make one using this kind of studs and terminal ?<br>
<p></p><i></i>
<em>Does anybody have any other evidence e.g. gravestones for a belt of this type</em><br>
<br>
There are probable square examples from Rheingönheim*, but most of the plausibly accurate tombstones show round studs, so it looks like they were not very common. Incidentally, identification of square studs as being from the 'apron' to some extent depends upon comparison with the better-attested round examples, both in terms of size and form.<br>
<br>
*Bishop, M.C. 1992: 'The early imperial "apron"', <em>Journal of Roman Military Equipment Studies</em> <strong>3</strong>, 96 and Fig.14,13-14<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop <p></p><i></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
thank you for the reply,<br>
<br>
I find it very remarkable that there are a lot of different belt plates , buckles and terminals known , and that it seems that over hundreds of years the studs have remained the same.<br>
<p></p><i></i>