Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman gear available for Lafe AR event
Just as I offered RAT readers when Legio XIIII was based in Europe, if there are armorless readers in the U.S. who would like to experience Roman reenactment/living history before sinking a lot of time and money in kit, LEG XIIII will have some available kits for loan. All legionary vacancies are filled, but there is something like 10 Aux. Infantry, 6 Syrian archer, 5 Cavalry impressions still unfilled. I believe all of our tent space is filled, but there may be room in the reconstructed barracks or there will be a "modern" camp as well. Please contact me ASAP to reserfe gear. We plan to arrive by noon on Friday.<br>
<br>
Dan <p></p><i></i>
Dan, it was fantastic to see you again, and your three leather tents and all the camp equipment added immeasurably to the ambience of the Lafe event. Thank you for bringing the extra gear and for helping us test the new pila. We are starting a group at 43 Ad at Fort Lafe for people to post the photos they have taken, hopefully you'll find a few that you like! I hope by next year we can coordinate some cavalry and more opponents!<br>
<br>
Thanks again for your invaluable help!<br>
<br>
<p>"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance -- that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer</p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Dan,<br>
<br>
I too enjoyed meeting you at the Lafe event. Please shoot me an email about doing a late roman event. Also should we try and have the same shield design? The Herculanii guys look awesome with all them shields.<br>
<br>
<p>Valete,<br>
<br>
Dave/Cicero<br>
<br>
www.freewebs.com/seguntienses/index.htm</p><i></i>
Ave Dan.<br>
<br>
Thanks for loaning the gear at Lafe.<br>
<br>
Slainte<br>
Jeff I.<br>
F. Antili Oregensis <p></p><i></i>
Dave,<br>
I enjoyed meeting you there too, and always enjoy talking about the Late, GREAT Roman army spurned by most Roman reenactors attracted to the hobby primarily by the "coolness" of 1st century segs and imp. gallic helmets.<br>
<br>
I also have a Herculanii shield and pictures of it are posted on RAT someplace. In Europe it was my plan to build six complete Herc. Kits, six Aux. Palatina auxilliary infantry (Smashers from Britain (red rimmed white shield with double dragons), and six guard cavalry (as the shield you saw at Lafe). The latter was stationed in Trier, only 40 minutes from where I was based in Baumholder.<br>
<br>
Yes, it would be great to have a late Roman event in the U.S., but until we can at least get a good dozen people for starters, it probablly wouldn't be worth it. Maybe a "dark ages event" would be a more realistic aim to begin with, and have late Romans there. I bleive Lafe would be a great place to have it. We might find a lot of Late Romans and ame period Barbarians among the SCA, and while some are pretty flaky, there are also some good impressions.<br>
<br>
For any kind of public display event, I always bring late and rep. Roman kits for "evoluution" talks. You would be very welcome to come as a late Roman for these. We will have something like that with a big Latin society in April if you are interested.<br>
<br>
Dan <p></p><i></i>
Dan,<br>
<br>
I have been a fan of the classical age for a long time and have more recently been interested in the "Dark" age as well.<br>
<br>
The smashers would be the "Exculcatores iuniores Britanniciani"<br>
from the Notitia?<br>
<br>
There is a faire/event planned at Stroud OK this oct.<br>
<br>
I'll make one of the shields that you mention so I can have a unit shield. I wish I would have brought my Seguntienses shield to Lafe.<br>
<br>
Hibernicus is almost done with my second helmet and mentioned that some period helmets were of 12 ga steel as well. No wonder they didn't want to wear them.<br>
<br>
I am interested in the Latin event, let me know the dates and location and I will see if I can make it.<br>
<br>
Dave <p>Valete,<br>
<br>
Dave/Cicero<br>
<br>
www.freewebs.com/seguntienses/index.htm</p><i></i>
groups.yahoo.com/group/FtLafe43AD<br>
<br>
140+ photos from the 2005 Lafe (AD 43) event. If you couldn't attend, you might enjoy seeing what happened. I still haven't figures how to post the mpegs. <p>"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance -- that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer</p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lafe Event in the USA, Live Weather Hibernicus 6 2,034 04-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Last Post: SOCL