Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feared enemies
Does anyone know who the Romans held in regard as feared enemies, (you the like,-tell thier children that the big bad goths or Hannibal etc would come and get them if they did not behave themselves etc) <p></p><i></i>
The Romans were around for a long time so the enemies and the fears changed in time. The Gauls first (during expansion into Northern Italy the Romans became confident they could beat them), then the Germans (especially after Arausio the Germans were perceived as terrible enemies however the victories of Marius again gave the romans confidence but a healthy respect was gained too as Ceasar's soldiers around 50 years later were again worried before the battle with the German war lord Ariovistus). The Romans were certainly nervous just after the Varus disaster but the situation was put under control quickly and the fear subsided. Those that actually worried were those closer to the limes. The next time there were worries about the Germans was about 160 year later but again the Romans stabilized the frontier and were actually thinking of expanding into the enemy territory (Marcus Aurelius). The real crises was during the third century. There MANY people were worried as many cities deep inside the empire started building walls. Aurelian's wall in Rome itself are a testimony to those worrisome times. The Goths went deep into Greece and for a while did what they wanted even killing an emperor (Decius). The Parthians were not really feared in spite of Roman defeats. The Sassanians were certainly more seriously dangerous. In the later years Alaric was a problem but more so because of the Roman incapability of nailing him down more than his invincibility (he was almost destroyed by the Romans a couple of times). Maybe the only other example of a fear comparable to Hannibal would be Attila.<br>
P.S. speaking of walls check out the 3rd century Roman walls of Lugo, a small Spanish town in Galicia<br>
www.concellodelugo.org/eng.htm <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/ugoffredo.showPublicProfile?language=EN>goffredo</A> at: 4/5/01 9:34:12 am<br></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
<br>
Well if you ask the question i would have to say Carthage in general. After Hannible crossed the Alps and crushed the Romans at the battle of Cannae, almost all of southern italty rose aginst rome in support of Hannible except the greek costal towns. In fact Philip of Macedon would have aided Hannible in invading rome but fear of greek invasion and no communication between the two men were ever established. This is of course the second punic war i am talking about. After wich the senate agreed to siege and destroy Carthage so she would never again be a threat to rome. Carthage had around 500,000 people after the seige the number was around 50,000 and they wore sold into slavery, never again would carthage pase a threat to rome.<br>
<br>
The fear of Hannible was great he met and defeated both Consouls of that year and was marching to Rome to take pressure away from his reinforcements led by his brother.<br>
But his brother was defeated and with him all hopes of destroying rome..<br>
<br>
But that is just my opinion on the matter <p></p><i></i>