Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cavalry
How far advanced was the equipment used by elite Roman Cavalry units at the begining of A.D? (i.e the horse's harnessing etc) <p></p><i></i>
I'm not quite sure what you mean to ask, but if it's Roman horsemanship and equipment that interests you, try Ann Hyland's two terrific (and practical) books, Equus: the Horse in the Roman World, and Training the Roman Cavalry.<br>
<br>
In a nutshell, Roman troopers stayed in the saddle by gripping their horses with their legs -- which as you might imagine became bowed fairly quickly under such riding conditions, and so even better adapted to a close tight grip -- as well as high pommel-like projections at each of the four corners of the saddle, which projected up and inward in such a way to allow the rider to brace his legs firmly against them. It was probably harder to fall off a horse using this sort of saddle than today's saddles, given a moderate level of riding balance.<br>
<br>
Roman tack did not include stirrups -- one of Gladiator's more obvious errors. Stirrups were invented well after Roman times.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Well after Roman times? I thought there was evidence to suggest that the kataphractoi may have used some sort of rudimentary stirrups, although this may well be conjecture. <p>It's not a bug, it's a feature</p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
Salve,<br>
<br>
A major difference with modern horses would also be that in Roman times mounts were generally not shod and may for this reason have usually travelled on the gravel paths besides the metalled roads to reduce wear. Though horse shoes were known, these were primarily used for animal with problems with their hooves. In addition to regular type of horse shoes detachable horse shoes known as hipposandals were used. In Byzantine times horses were shod as a precaution against crow's feet.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
If i remember correctley Romans had stirups by the time of the Huns, indeed i think it was these barbarians who introduced them to the Romans.<br>
<br>
But i think before that the Parthians had stirups only they were toe stirups, i cant imagine how much that would hurt. <p></p><i></i>