Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Promotion in the ranks
Would/could a soldier gain promotion from a basic soldier purely from skill at arms (how good he was at killing the enemy)If so does anyone know how far up the ladder he could go, even if he was not of 'family'. <p></p><i></i>
Promotion through the ranks was most definitely possible. The legions had optios and centurions whop were preety much all drawn from the ranks, a direct commision as centurion was possible, but unusual, and legionary commanders no doubt preferred experienced men to those foisted upon them. There was a definite system of promotion within the legion, leading up to the rank of Primus pilus, the most senior centurion in the legion. From there promotion was possible to the position of praefectus castorum, who was incharge of mauch of the running of legionary fortresses. Further advancement was possible. there are examples of Centurions who became members of the class of equites, who colud the hold major positions in the Roman state, prefectures like that of Rome and Egypt, command of units in the urban cohorts and vigiles (the police units at Rome) and the praetorians.<br>
<br>
In the Republic under Sulla's reforms military heroes could even be inducted into the ranks of the Senate <p>It's not a bug, it's a feature</p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
Salve,<br>
<br>
There are some inscriptions that explicitly ascribe an individual's promotion to his bravery, in one case also mentioning the acclaim of the troops. Nevertheless, skill at arms and bravery were only one criterion and for many positions additional skills such as the ability to read and write were required. Personal relations were however very important as well, and commissions as <i> centurio</i> or equestrian officer could be acxquired through patronage.<br>
<br>
In my opinion to think that legionary commanders would have preferred men risen from the ranks to directly commissioned men is questionable. Those of higher birth and with better relations had a greater chance of reaching the upper levels of the centurionate.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sanbder van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
I think this is true, the stupidity of class usualy gets in the way of things working correctly . In the UK ayway. <p></p><i></i>