Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some questions about the navy
True to form, I'm not to add any real information -- but how about a place/person to get it from?<br>
<br>
One of the foremost experts in the world on the Roman navy is online and very accessible; and has created a forum, e-mail-based but otherwise very much like this one (i.e., a mailing list), covering all aspects of Roman antiquity, but in particular the Roman navy.<br>
He is Domenico Carro (Adm., Ret., Italian Navy), the site is RomaEterna at<br>
www.romaeterna.org<br>
<br>
Most of the site, and all the list, is in Italian; not that much problem, though, if you know the subject, since for syntax number the details of language you can always use Babelfish<br>
babelfish.altavista.com/translate.dyn<br>
or similar "automatic translator" (despite the peculiar results sometimes).<br>
<br>
I hope this is a useful injection of fresh sea-water... <p></p><i></i>
Thanks, Bill! You know, one of these days soon I'm going to dredge all the military links out of RomanSites and upgrade our links section. (Have been trying for ages to draft a LinkMaster for RA.com without success thus far so I'll do the duty myself).<br>
<br>
Jasper, I wonder whether that navy site Bill mentions would be fertile recruiting ground for contributors? With an Italian editor or two we'd be a multinational bunch indeed! E EM Must investigate further...<br>
<br>
As for Babelfish I find it frequently helpful (mirthful as well) although it would be more appropriately named Babble-fish some of the time! <br>
<br>
I do love these smilies... Glad to have you join us.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
I sure know that site. I shall invite him to Rat and Romanarmy.com, hope he can read/write English though.<br>
<br>
Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper <p></p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is the Roman Navy a major navy in the world at that time??? jc02005 2 1,755 09-17-2007, 09:57 AM
Last Post: caiusbeerquitius