Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carlisle greaves???
Smile 
Hi all,
I was watching mike bishops talk about roman armour from last year in London.
And he talks about greaves found at Carlisle during their millennium excavations .
Has anyone got any details of dating, size and condition of these finds 
As I tried looking around and seem to have been overlooked or material that was written before their discovery.
Any help?
I can check the Carlisle millennium reports tomorrow at home. Don't know if they are in there?
ALA I BATAVORUM
Does anyone have any joy because I hope to get them reconstructed
for work at Caerleon's national roman legion museum to show as part
of a legionary kit from just after 100ad
Why do Carlisle Greaves for Caerleons Museum.....surely no context to Legion or location or date?
Random Roman bits again.
Seems a bit odd to me.
 Kevin.
Kevin
(04-14-2016, 06:09 PM)66kbm Wrote: Why do Carlisle Greaves for Caerleons Museum.....surely no context to Legion or location or date?
Random Roman bits again.
Seems a bit odd to me.
 Kevin.

No one site can show the true extent of what the soliders used at each fort. Caerleon was a miltary base for over 200 years of roman occupation of Britannia from 75 AD to the 270'sAD with the legion sent not only to wales but to the north to help at hadrian wall by the 120's and Vexhilliums would of been sent all over the empire at the same time. Also Caerleon shows evidence of other detachments ie Thracian caverlry regiment staying in other legions forts. Plus the armour would of been adapted to provance to provance (eg Dacia wars proved that one) and the same kit would of been mixed with old and new equipment whilst repairng old kit as the manica's at carlisle have shown and canniblising others (corbridge hoard)
OK...That's a good account....but
I ask again....why not Caerleon Greaves at Caerleon?
 Why Carlisle?
That's like saying a Mainz Gladius was found at Inchtutil......It obviously wasn't and its an extreme comparison.
 Do you really feel that its OK for you to copy the greaves and put them out of context?
 Why not put those greaves in the Museum on the wall somewhere where we know they came from.
 Only my opinion.
 Kevin.
Kevin
the hope is me wearing them for our barrack room reconstruction talks about general roman army life in Caerleon and the provance.
The other thing is like other parts of the equipment, no real sword has ever been found in Caerleon just scabbards parts, in my mind what your argument shows, no sword should be shown in caerleon either.
Plus the age of the greaves seem to be early 2nd century with the manicas according to the talk i watched of Mike bishop, but i wanted to see anyone can confirm this.
also we know people moved around as the army way, soliders in Caerleon coming from Xanten, Switzerland, south france, german boarders and so on, so why not some of their kit too.
to the romans, Carlisle and Caerleon is not that far compared to how far other things seems to be travelling
Once again, that's a fair shout. Yes, II AVG came from the Rhineland before the invasion.
 That could account for varying degrees of kit.
 But you say your impression is 2nd Cent.
 I must say now that i am primarily 1st Cent II AVG with my knowledge.
 I would just say....be careful and do your search thoroughly. Don't put a bit of kit in a place it does not belong. Even if it is innocently done with good intentions.....in future years people will read it as true, as so often happens.
 And with all due respect to Mr Mike Bishop, as much knowledge as he has, he cannot say as a whole, this was that and that was this. We really do not know.
 He is really gonna kick my ass if he reads this....lol
Here's waiting for the comeback......
 Im only trying to help out here, not argue with you.
 Kevin
Kevin
thats appriacted thankyou but i am like yourself passionate on the subject and looking through what caerleon has and learning some of the stories, opens my eyes of people not very different from our own ie vindolanda tablets and gaffti on pots and curses
Your best bet is to get to Caerleon and ask for a behind the scenes tour....see the stuff us mere mortals never get to see.
 Its a good starting point, and Caerleon is always good for a visit.....several times.....Love their Bathhouse.
 Kevin
Kevin
I work there and help my curator with lifting finds and gives me the latest on objects and the seen a few of the vast unseen in our vault of amazing finds
plus input on exhabitions on areas that we are very lucky to do