Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slingers
I have read about the legionaires being able to use slings. I was wondering if anyone had recreated this, and if they had, is there anywhere were i could learn this too.<br>
<br>
C. Brianus<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
A large empty field springs to mind <p></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
In the Legio XX we have had a fellow who does the slinger bit, but his aim would occasionally go straight up in a crowd, so I suggest a lot of practice before you do anything around the public! <p>Aulus<br>
Legio XX<br>
ICQ 940236
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Well, i know i'll need a BIG field, and i was sure i wouldn't have any type of demonstration..well, maybe for my little sister..ODE EM <p></p><i></i>
I have to say it'd be the one time i'd feel safest being the one with the apple on his head <p></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
If they weren't that accurate, why did they use them then? I mean, what's the point of hurdling rocks at each other when you have pila? <p></p><i></i>
They were accurate, but that just takes a LOT of practice, for which you preferably need a big, empty field. The advantages over pila? Range, cheap, easy to haul a large amount of ammunition about and at least lower quality projectiles are readily available nearly everywhere. <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
A fist sized rock thrown at short distance can be considered a lethal weapon and some were apparently fashioned to fit comfortably in the palm of a hand. Look at what a pitcher can do with a baseball and imagine...<br>
As for sling bullets they were not only accurate, but extremely deadly and much feared because their flight was invisible. At short distance it would break a bone easily. Ancient authors speak of soldiers knocked off despite the helmet and of bullets lodging under the skin and causing infection an gangrene. They were manufactured. It was not just a stone picked up on the ground, unless of course you were out of ammo. Preferably made of lead, some were pointed and often inscribed with the name of a general or insults for the enemy. Some were hammered to look exactly like acorns, which is actually the word used in french to describe that type of missile. Some others, in cases of urgency, were simply made by sticking the first phalanx of the middle finger into fine sand and pouring lead in the hole thus formed. Sling bullets like this were found on the site of a famous siege at the military harbour at Flevum, in today's Netherlands, that occurred during the revolt of the Frisians under the reign of Tiberius Caesar.<br>
Now regarding experimentation, I'd advise about 200 yards.. On all sides..<br>
For a quick experimentation: take a regular tie. And old one, though. Undo the stitching in the center over a lenght of about three/four inches. That makes the pouch.<br>
Lock and load. One end of the tie goes between thumb and index. That's the trigger end. The other end goes between ring finger and little finger. This end you hold on tight.<br>
Get your little sister out of the way. Seriously. It's not a toy it's a weapon.<br>
Whirl the thing vertically, sideways, and try to let go the good end of the tie (the one you're holding between index and thumb) when it reaches about the seven/eight o'clock position. You will be surprised of the results after only a few tries.<br>
Needless to say, the author declines all responsibility regarding unfortunate mishaps..<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=antoninuslucretius>Antoninus Lucretius</A> at: 12/30/01 6:57:09 pm<br></i>