Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Republican era gladiators
I am looking into trying to start a gladiator group here in Arkansas, and have been looking into the Republican era a lot. there doesn't seem to be many groups doing this era,,,if any. One of the things that I have been looking at are the open faced helmets of the time. Most just seem to be the military helmets of the time,,the gallic A, montefortino, coolus maybe greek attic style, or open faced thracians like deepeeka makes.
What are the thoughts of those more experienced?
Thanks
Also if anyone is in the Missouri, Arkansas, western Tennesse, Eastern Oklahoma region and is interested, look me up.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1744350402444188/
Check out Olaf Kueppers' Facebook page, "Gladiator Research." It is specifically devoted to gladiator iconography and its interpretation rather than reenactment, but numerous reenactors post there and lately there has been quite a bit of discussion about Republican-era gladiators, their equipment and its development. Olaf posts here often, as well.
Pecunia non olet
(05-01-2016, 02:13 PM)mboyce Wrote: I am looking into trying to start a gladiator group here in Arkansas, and have been looking into the Republican era a lot. there doesn't seem to be many groups doing this era,,,if any. One of the things that I have been looking at are the open faced helmets of the time. Most just seem to be the military helmets of the time,,the gallic A, montefortino, coolus maybe greek attic style, or open faced thracians like deepeeka makes.
What are the thoughts of those more experienced?
Thanks
Also if anyone is in the Missouri, Arkansas, western Tennesse, Eastern Oklahoma region and is interested, look me up.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/euro 20161744350402444188/

Please let me know how it went. I am starting to develop a passion for ancient combatants and I believe there is no better place to start other than here