Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Oldest Man in the World?
I recently had occasion to look at the page on Amazon for the Kindle edition of 'The Military Institutions of the Romans', the abridged version of Lieutenant John Clarke's translation of Vegetius. Under the heading 'About the Author', it reads, 'John Clarke lives in the mountains of southern Pennsylvania. He is Professor Emeritus at Gettysburg College, and for many years he directed its program in the writing of poetry and fiction.' He must be a very old man indeed, considering that the translation was first published in 1767.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
(04-30-2016, 05:12 PM)Renatus Wrote: He is Professor Emeritus at Gettysburg College, and for many years he directed its program in the writing of poetry and fiction.'

How strange! I very much doubt there was a Gettysburg College in 1767 (for obvious reasons), or that it had a faculty of poetry and fiction!

But, being so very old, it's not surprising that his career has been prolific. I notice that the Lieutenant also wrote this book, and this one, and even this one. Must have a lot of time on his hands, up there in the mountains...[Image: smile.png]
Nathan Ross
This is a short biography of the later part of the life of John Clarke which I could find. Nothing about Gettysburg in that. Smile

http://www.hps.cam.ac.uk/library/directo..._warre.pdf

Regards
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oldest wheel in the world Tormenta 5 1,322 05-24-2013, 06:37 PM
Last Post: 66kbm