Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Army vs. the Celts
Do any of you have information regarding how the Romans perceived the Celtic tribes they encountered, were relations between Celts and Romans always hostile?<br>
What were Roman values in battle?<br>
What type of warfare did they take part in? and who exactly made up the Roman army... <p>(my website: <a href=http://www.shee-eire.com>shee-eire my ezboard: <a href=http://pub69.ezboard.com/bcelticireland>Celtic-Ireland )</p><i></i>
<br>
Welcome to the board!<br>
<br>
That's some extensive questions. Looking through some of the threads (see Sander's list of Frequently Asked Questions , you should be able to find answers to at least part of your questions.<br>
As to the relationship between Romans and Celts, it has been suggested that ever since the sack of Rome in 390 BC, the Romans developed a hearty dislike for the Celts. Their (the Celts) support of the Carthaginians didn't help either. In fact, a few hundred years later, the Romans had pretty much cleared Europe of Celts. While they inhabited large parts of Western and Central Europe and even Turkey around 500 BC, in Imperial times they were driven to the extremities. For instance Caesar's campaigns in France enslaved and killed hundreds of thousands...<br>
On the other hand, the Romans were not averse to borrowing Celtic techniques, especially metalworking was a Celtic forte. The famous Imperial-Gallic helmet isn't named that way for nothing!<br>
<p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Salve,<br>
<br>
Relations between Celts and Romans were not always hostile even if the Roman attitudes to Celts before their conquest were inspired by fear and hate. Celts were recruited into the Roman army from republican times on and conquests of Celtic tribes was often assisted by willing allies and auxiliaries from the same background. After the conquest indigenous peoples, especially the elites, were assimilated into the Roman world, though not all segments of society and all aspects of life were thoroughly Romanised with for instance Celtic languages recorded as still being spoken in late Roman times.<br>
<br>
Roman values in battle stressed discipline and group cohesion, though individual displays of bravery were also valued highly. Roman warfare was characterised by great brutality and perseverance. Enemies were usually relentlessly engaged in spite of defeats untill Roman terms could be imposed.<br>
<br>
Roman warfare encompassed both high and low intensity warfare. Though decisive engagements like pitched battles and sieges were deliberately pursued, the Roman army was able to adapt to guerilla type warfare and adopt tactics to suit different opponents. The main focus was on land warfare with naval warfare taking on a secondary role after the elimination of the main naval threats in the Mediterranean.<br>
<br>
The Roman army was traditionally made up of both citizen forces and (originally) non citizen allied and auxiliary troops from conquered territories as well as from across the frontiers. The citizen troops were concentrated in the legions, the backbone of Roman military power, and assisted by a variety of both professional and irregular other forces. At first military duties were largely borne by the propertied classes able to afford the necessary equipment, though these requirements were lowered as time went by. Throughout its history the Roman army contained a mix of both volunteers and conscripts and though earlier armies consisted of a part-time militia, the armed forces gradually turned into a long service professional army.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
You should have a look at Caesar's Gallic War (widely available in translation), which is a mine of information on Roman attitudes to the Celts, as well as being a full account of the campaigns. See especially Book VI.<br>
<br>
Glas <p></p><i></i>
I'm pretty sure that you will find your answers in Theodore Dodge's Caesar. It covers what you are asking <p></p><i></i>
Thanks for all the replies<br>
<br>
slán agus beannacht - (gaeilge/irish) health and blessings. <p>(my website: <a href=http://www.shee-eire.com>shee-eire my ezboard: <a href=http://pub69.ezboard.com/bcelticireland>Celtic-Ireland )</p><i></i>
Unfortunately, the Celts, who knew and used writing, did not use it to write history. Putting Asterix, the modern day "druids" and other assorted "celtic revivals", in the bargain as well totally distorts the true image of the Celtic world.<br>
What is certain however is that the Romans took them extremely seriously.<br>
Rome was sacked twice during the pre-medieval period. The first time it was by the Celts, a.k.a. the Gauls.<br>
During the Republic special funds were set apart to be used in case of war with the Gauls and the self-explanatory expression "tumultus gallicus" was used to describe war with the Gauls.<br>
During the Republic, the Celts were Rome's main and much feared enemy. If I can find the time I'll post a full list of battles between Romans and Gauls (With the outcomes and the losses). It's very long. I don't think that during that period a people fought more often the Romans than the Celts. <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Colonization of North Africa by Celts? Eleatic Guest 8 2,744 11-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Last Post: starman2012